Autogage by AutoMeter WARNING!

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Autogage by AutoMeter WARNING!

Postby JimmieD » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:00 am

Hi guys!

Near disaster: had a 3 gauge set of Autogauge by AutoMeter installed in my truck for extra monitoring of water temp, oil pressure & voltage. Got them used from a buddy and temp and oil failed and had to be replaced within 1 month. He only used them in the drag car for a dozen or so passes!

The other day I drove into town and suddenly clouds of thick black smoke pouring out from under dash! Got all electricity shut down after popping the hood and yanking loose all the quick release battery connections.

Turns out this Autogage piece of junk is so poorly made that the meter movement inside gauge case slipped over and shorted out hot lead to the gauge case and to the ground. Those burning hot wires then sliced through both nylon lines to both oil pressure gauges to spray oil all over the glowing hot wires and the carpet. Just about lost the whole truck!

I later dis-assembeld the gauge and it's 100% junk! The only thing preventing shorting out is a couple of little plastic nibs on the electrical connection screws, about .030" thick, that are supposed to have an interference fit in the .025" thick case! One of the screws, the hot terminal, was cast in off-center and the insulator was also off center, easily visible when inspected. ZERO QUALITY CONTROL ON THIS GAUGE!

The whole design of the gauge is a nightmare of just asking for serious trouble. 100% junk, junk, junk, designed by a simpering idiot, an electrical moron. A word to the wise: caveat emptor, as in 'let the buyer beware'. Any company that would sell garbage like this to unwitting buyers is a company to stay away from. So sue me Autometer! I've got the melted evidence and LOTS OF PHOTOS....!
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Sunpro

Postby seeker1056 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:12 am

Sunpro is just as bad - I am on my third set of triples
Volt guage keeps screwin up
91 F350 5.9 Cummins, Custom built VE 12v

Sponsors of new truck

Performance Diesel Injection
Colt Cams
H&H Offroad
Arties Transmission
Toms Contracting
seeker1056
14mm rotor

Postby CAJUN 93 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:30 am

autogage and sunpro are both parts stores cheap guages for the general public. as such there quality has always been questionable at best. you don't really get top of the line quality with 3 guages for $25.00 :o . still that's no excuse for the failure you mentioned. can't say i've ever seen any guage from any manufacturer do that. i would contact autometer with the failure (and the proof you have will help). see if they will reemburse you for time repairing damage. it's a long shot but a shot never the less.

that being said, i've had autometers in everything from my truck to a friend's 7 sec outlaw mustang. never had a problem. you spend 30-50 a guage but the quality is good. i've had isspros too and they seem to be good quality.

daryl
93 d350 5spd 3.54-bhaf,stg iv,banks intercooler,bosch185,16cm,pacbrake,4" straight exh,pump mods,366 spring,leece-neville alt.
hers- 93 d250 auto 3.54- pump mods only
ours- 93 w350 dually, auto, 3.54. stock for now
parts 93 d350 auto, 92 d250 auto.
CAJUN 93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:00 pm

Man, you're payin' 25 bucks? I got mine at Harbor Freight for 20!
I don't use them in my truck though!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby JimmieD » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:06 pm

Can't remember, but I think I mentioned these were a gift from a well meaning friend, trying to help me out. I didn't know any different and assumed because Autometer gauges had a good rep then surely the Autogage would at least be good quality, even if not their topnotch stuff. Not.

I have nothing against the company, but just don't want others to make the same mistake. This particular gauge was the #2319. I cannot return the gauge now that I have disassembled it. At this point I don't want any more of any of their gauge line anyway, as sort of head shy hah! I do appreciate that helpful advice though, thanks.

I would strongly advise that if anyone here has any brand of aftermarket volt gauge to make sure it is independently fused? Better safe than sorry.

Thanks, guys!
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bgilbert » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:05 pm

They are cheap, but I've actually used a set from Autogage for some time now in two different trucks. Amp/water/oil psi. But never hooked up the amp gauge and didn't have a light kit. So with mechanical water temp and oil pressure, no issues.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Return to Engine