VE toast:(

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

VE toast:(

Postby g1625s » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:12 am

VE shot...I think

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, pulling out of the drive yesterday, the truck started to break up above 1600. Kinda like starving for fuel and late timing. I have been running filtered WVO for several months, but never more than 30% or so. Still, I eliminated all the factory lines and plumbed the send and return into a fresh, clean can of diesel. Oh, I changed the fuel filter first thing. I've been swapping filters every 3k since I started using WVO. The filter that came off was only 2 weeks old. No, I don't have a fuel pressure gaugebut pushing the water drain on the filter while the truck is idling prduces a very powerful stream of fuel. The pump only has 40k on it. Cracking #1 injector produced a pretty weak pulse compared to #2. #3 was weak as well. I think the pump is toast. Changed filter again, cleaned fuel heater and flushed all lines leading to and from the engine. No change. Free-rev over about 1500 and it starts breaking up and blowing blue smoke. I'm sending this truck down the road very soon and I know it'll be worth more if it's running. Anybody with a bright idea (or a used working pump for sale) chime right on in, PM me or e-mail sloc1443(at)hotmail.com Pretty frustrated today
greg
presently-'96 4x4 2500
formerly-'89 W350
g1625s
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:04 am

Were you running any kind of heater?

WVO (especially un-heated WVO) can leave coking deposits when it's pressurized; usually found in the injectors but I guess it formed in the IP on you?

Deposits might be cleanable somehow, I don't know...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby g1625s » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:22 am

nope, I wasn't heating it...I figured at 25% concentration and 90 degree weather I would be ok...plus the filter being next to the block that fuel going into the engine has to be at least 145*.....but I guess maybe not. I never liked the pump from the day I got it and there's been more than one unhappy customer leving this particular local BOSCH dealer...anyhoo, I'm SOL for now and just trying to find a solution:(
presently-'96 4x4 2500
formerly-'89 W350
g1625s
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:29 pm

Greg, is the solenoid going bad? Not opening all the way? Could the fuel heater be cracked and leaking air? I know the 2nd gens do this, not sure about ours.

Where the heck you been? Coming to the dyno day? Hows the house? Don't you love me no more? :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby g1625s » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:37 pm

I gutted the solenoid today. It was intact. I'm not sure what events I'll be able to attent....can't even get to the grocery store tonight!!!! I can't tell you where I've been, Pete...you'd have to boil me in hot water if I told you;)
presently-'96 4x4 2500
formerly-'89 W350
g1625s
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 pm

I was wondering if the coil wasn't pulling it up far enough. I hate to say it,but........you could ride with JR. :shock: In the ferd :shock:

You're trying to get my curiousity up, aren't you :?:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine