Need VE Help!! pickup has lost most of it's power.

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Need VE Help!! pickup has lost most of it's power.

Postby Firstgenfanatic » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:58 am

Ok, my truck has not ran correctly since yesterday afternoon. Symptoms are sluggish excelleration and no power under a load. Driving up a noticable grade, the pickup will quickly bog down and will only climb @ 30mph. I can put the pedal to the floor and nothing will happen. At this point the pickup is unsafe for highway/freeway driving. The only thing previously touched before this problem occured was the fuel pin/diaphram and "star wheel". I recently took the anaroid valve back apart and discovered that the small pin that rides on the larger fuel pin does not come out when you actuate the throttle linkage. I'm guessing a stuck pin is causing this? Any help would be highly appreciated. :(
*1993 Dodge Ram W250 club cab*, mild performance built A518, Hughes Converter, turned-up VE w/timing bump, tow package, 16x7 Alcoa wheels, M&H "M5" fuel pin, 366 gov spring, 4" exhaust, 16cm turbine housing, cold air intake, Isspro pyro/trans/tach/boost, KDP secured
Firstgenfanatic
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Rebel Ram » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:32 pm

That sounds excactly like a fuel filter. I go through alot of them with my corn oil and thats when I know their DONE. But check fuel pressure first if you dont want to throw parts at it till you know.
"Big Ugly"-93 3/4 T extra cab 4X4 5 speed
"Big Hips"-92 1 Ton reg cab 4X2 Auto
"The ohwun"-2001 3/4 T quad cab 4X4 auto
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:53 pm

Sounds like the pin is stuck. I have seen this in other posts. The symptoms are as you describe, no fuel! You may have to pull the top to free it up. Try spraying some kind of lubricate on it and try to move it. With the cone out, rotate the throttle lever, the pin should shoot out. You can push it back with a straight screw driver. If it stays put, she's a stucka!
Good luck!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Firstgenfanatic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:02 pm

Ok, the top half of the pump is now on my work bench. I squirted some WD-40 on both sides of the pin and actuated it back and forth several times. The pin seems to move back and forth ok and both ends are shiny in appearance. I see no reason for it hanging up.........at this point i'm not sure why it wasn't coming out when I moved the throttle linkage? I guess the only thing to do now is put it back together and see if it moves with the throttle linkage now.
*1993 Dodge Ram W250 club cab*, mild performance built A518, Hughes Converter, turned-up VE w/timing bump, tow package, 16x7 Alcoa wheels, M&H "M5" fuel pin, 366 gov spring, 4" exhaust, 16cm turbine housing, cold air intake, Isspro pyro/trans/tach/boost, KDP secured
Firstgenfanatic
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine