Head shop in Portland?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Postby wingnuts0nr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:24 pm

PToombs wrote:Basicly, o-rings are grooves cut in the head, a piece of wire is inserted in the groove, and it crimps the head gasket tighter.
Firerings are grooves cut in the block, bigger groove, bigger wire. You need a special head gasket for these.
At least that's the way I under stand it.

By the way, a Head Shop is where you go to get rolling papers, bongs, and other druggie paraphenalia. :shock: My buddy took me to one once. :wink:

Darn terminology gets me every time :oops: sometimes I just can't find the right words (just ask my wife :shock: ) and thanks for the insight never got into the "scene"(drugs, ect.)
'88 GM 1T 4dr Dually with 91.5 IC Cummins KDP, P-pump all new Issapro gauges(speedo to tranny temp) HTT62-13 turbo, Injectors to come. O-ringed head by Rip, ARP head studs,Suncoast TC and Valve body...
wingnuts0nr
fuel screw!!!!

Postby wingnuts0nr » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Begle1 wrote:I don't get it...

I'd think Yellow Pages under "machine shop" should get you close, no?

I think Begle1 and I were on the same page :P
'88 GM 1T 4dr Dually with 91.5 IC Cummins KDP, P-pump all new Issapro gauges(speedo to tranny temp) HTT62-13 turbo, Injectors to come. O-ringed head by Rip, ARP head studs,Suncoast TC and Valve body...
wingnuts0nr
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mhuppertz » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:19 pm

Does the block need to be drilled and tapped for studs?
mhuppertz

Postby Begle1 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:40 pm

wingnuts0nr wrote:
Begle1 wrote:I don't get it...

I'd think Yellow Pages under "machine shop" should get you close, no?

I think Begle1 and I were on the same page :P

When I said "I don't get it" I was referring to the first reply... I've never known of smoke shops being called "head shops".

Would any engine rebuilding place be able to cut O-rings ito a head?

Are firerings any better than O-rings?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:32 pm

Smoke shop! I knew there was another name for it! :? I wasn't much of a "burner" either, I liked beer plenty good though! :wink:

Back on the real topic!

Studs go into the existing holes, I think it's recommended to run a bottom tap down to clean the threads.

Most machine shops can do o-rings. Fire rings are supposed to hold more pressure.
Wingnuts, it's going to cost a bunch to send your head to Milwaukee, no machine shops nearby?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby TWorline » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:46 pm

When you run the bottom tap into your block be sure to clean out all of the holes very good, a friend of mine did not and had a clearence issue with the valve covers after the head was torqued. :(
Tim Worline
1992 W250 Club Cab LE, S300 62/71, 5" stainless intake, 4" into 5" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, SDX 5X18 Injectors, AirDog 150, Borgeson shaft, Coolingmist Vari-cool, Con OFEK, 3" Stainless CoolerTubz, 354/749.

http://www.CoolerTubz.com/
TWorline
14mm rotor

Postby 2muchtq » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:33 pm

There is another truck club in the Pacific NW called NWBombers(.com) We often times shuttle parts and pieces from place to place.

If the timeline works... I would throw it in the bed and deliver to Milwaukie on my way to Seattle for racing.

On the way back.... who knows. He might pay shipping..... or another member might be on their way and haul it for him.
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Engine