a knocking noise/ turbo

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

a knocking noise/ turbo

Postby cummins king » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:43 pm

hi guys
its my first time wrighting on this site but i have read all of the other post and i cant get enough.
about 2000miles ago i bought a 93 cummins great truck great body some old farmer drove it.
everything works great.
about 400miles ago i turned the starwheel up, spun the pin around, and turned out the fuel pin about 4 turns. i took it out for a spin and checked out what power it had, totaly awsome. since then i have been driving it very easly because i dont have any gauges on it so i didnt know the exaust temp. today i park the truck in the shop and put my gauges on, i start up the truck and i her this knoking noice, i have know idea what it is. could you guys make a list of what it posibly could be, so that i can check it all out. thanks

oh and one more question my guy a t a diesel preformance shop wants to sell me a 16mm exuast housing, what do you think he said it would give me more low end boust. is there anything better i can spend my money on the turbo

thanks joel
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby 2muchtq » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:54 pm

The 93 SHOULD have a 18cm housing on it already. IMHO the extra 2cm wont show you that much gain for the money.

As for the knocking.... if you can be more specific. It'd make it MUCH more helpful on our end.

If its an exhaust pop (walk toward the tail pipe and see if you can hear it in the exhaust) it might be a cylinder out of adjustment... bent push rod.... valve not sealing.

If its a loud tick... it might be a lift/transfer pump.

Like I say... there are a bunch of possibilities.

Mark
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Postby NYCEGUY01 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:55 am

My 1993 came stock with a 21 housing. You need to find out what you allready have before deciding to switch.

If you have the 21 it would be worth upgrading. Not so much if youre allready running a 18.
NYCEGUY01
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:18 pm

how should i find out how big my housing is
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby Paccool » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:36 pm

Look on the back side of the exhaust housing and you should find a number - probably will be an 18 since that is what they are supposed to have on them.
Stan

93 D250, PDR cam,stage 2 head w/o-rings,twin turbos HX35 on top HT3B on the bottom,modified IP,piston lift pump,DDP stage 3 injectors,gauges,ATS ported manifold,4" exhaust,5" inlet system,oversized intercooler, rear sway bar, fresh paint
Paccool
fuel screw!!!!

Re: a knocking noise/ turbo

Postby Falcon » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:59 pm

cummins king wrote:hi guys
its my first time wrighting on this site but i have read all of the other post and i cant get enough.
about 2000miles ago i bought a 93 cummins great truck great body some old farmer drove it.
everything works great.
about 400miles ago i turned the starwheel up, spun the pin around, and turned out the fuel pin about 4 turns. i took it out for a spin and checked out what power it had, totaly awsome. since then i have been driving it very easly because i dont have any gauges on it so i didnt know the exaust temp. today i park the truck in the shop and put my gauges on, i start up the truck and i her this knoking noice, i have know idea what it is. could you guys make a list of what it posibly could be, so that i can check it all out. thanks

oh and one more question my guy a t a diesel preformance shop wants to sell me a 16mm exuast housing, what do you think he said it would give me more low end boust. is there anything better i can spend my money on the turbo

thanks joel

93's came with 18's on them. Put a 12 cm on it for alot of fun. Towing I use a 16 cm. I still have my old WH1C with with a 12 cm WG on it for back up if the HX-35 ever takes a dump. Try it you'll like it.

Greg
Greg
Graham, Washington
"FIRST REAL TRUCK ENGINE...
LAST REAL TRUCK!!!
93 ex cab 4x4, Hybred 35/40,4" exaust all the way,pump turned alittle,DDP Stage III's, 366 spring,DDP fuel pin,AFE first gen air intake,pyro and boost gauges
Falcon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:25 pm

a reputable diesel mecanice said that it was a injector staying open, its weird it sometmes happens and other times it doesnt' he said to get them clean
my housing for the turbo is 18cm so what should i expect if i get a 12cm housing, and i was wondering if 75 hp POD(prince of darkness) injectors were any good.

thanks
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:27 pm

one other thing the shop said that i would have to do modifications to the turbo if i got a 12cm housing
is this true
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby Falcon » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 am

Only mod needed to the turbo is a hole drilled and tapped in the cold side for a elbo to go to the waist gate. No big deal. You will need to loosen the exaust clamps on the exaust pipes so you can move the exaust back about 1 to 2 inches because of the waist gate housing is a little longer.

Here is a picture on the elbo connection. It's a old photo but it works.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/gallery/dat ... d_elbo.jpg

Greg
Greg
Graham, Washington
"FIRST REAL TRUCK ENGINE...
LAST REAL TRUCK!!!
93 ex cab 4x4, Hybred 35/40,4" exaust all the way,pump turned alittle,DDP Stage III's, 366 spring,DDP fuel pin,AFE first gen air intake,pyro and boost gauges
Falcon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Not a bad idea to clean the injectors, or get them cleaned by someone who knows what is going on, rather.

There are NO modifications to the turbo to make a 12cm housing fit. Just make sure it is from a 12v engine, as the 24v engines had a different outlet for the exhaust elbow.

You have to be moving a LOT of fuel for PODs to be 75hp. More like 45-50. ALso, there are cleaner options out there. You can get a good amount of power and torque from your stockers. I get a solid 36psi with the newer turbo and intercooler.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:14 pm

thanks guys for all the great info
just one other question, sombody told me that i should get a turbo from a 1994+ cummins because it already has a 12cm exaust housing and a better intake , is this a good idea, i can get a good one cheap
joel
cummins king
14mm rotor

Return to Engine