Leak Emercency

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Leak Emercency

Postby mhuppertz » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:23 pm

I put some stop leak in the crankcase to try to slow down the vacuum pump leak, which it did, but looks like the rear main might have blown out on my way home today. Cummins want's about $1,300 to do it. What is involved if I do it? Can I unbolt the front mounts and lift the engine engough to get the pan out? Can I sneaky pete the seal? Do I change out the thrust bearing while I am in there?

Help needed please! :cry:

Thanks,

Mark
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:48 pm

The rear main is accessable if you pull the trans. It is pressed into a plate, the seal retainer. No need to pull the pan! 8) Pull the trans and all the other goodies, pull the flywheel, there it is! You can pull the retainer to change the seal, but then you'll need the gasket, still no biggie. While you are there, you might want to pull the adapter from the rear of the block and change the cam plug. It's a softplug on the rear of the cam. It sucks when you get it back together and 2 weeks later it starts puking oil back there again! :x
My '92 and the '89 I had, the seal was loose in the retainer when I replaced them. The '89 was pouring oil out, and I picked the seal out with my fingernail! :shock:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine