fuel screw vs. shutdown temps

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

fuel screw vs. shutdown temps

Postby IRoss » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:12 am

The other day while doing an oil change I gave my fuel screw another half turn, which effectively bottomed it out, from the feel of it....along with this power came an extra 3-4 minutes of cooldown time to reach 300...its running noticably hotter in the lower (1800)rpm range than the upper(2400) rpm's. Now will un-adjusting the smoke screw (fuel under low boost, right?) help ireduce egt's while just cruising around at low rpm, allowing the it to cool down a little faster,? Could it have anything to do with the oil? (shell 15w40 Rimula, just switched fr/rotella)
thanx, ian
IRoss
fuel screw!!!!

Re: fuel screw vs. shutdown temps

Postby flashgordon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:46 pm

IRoss wrote:The other day while doing an oil change I gave my fuel screw another half turn, which effectively bottomed it out, from the feel of it....along with this power came an extra 3-4 minutes of cooldown time to reach 300...its running noticably hotter in the lower (1800)rpm range than the upper(2400) rpm's. Now will un-adjusting the smoke screw (fuel under low boost, right?) help ireduce egt's while just cruising around at low rpm, allowing the it to cool down a little faster,? Could it have anything to do with the oil? (shell 15w40 Rimula, just switched fr/rotella)
thanx, ian

The smoke screw is pretty much for idle and off idle(no boost) setting

putting more spring pressure.(star wheel, turn counter close wise.......I thing) on the fuel pin. would help

Did you gain smoke with the full fuel screw?

Flash.
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby IRoss » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:35 pm

Just a little bit of black on spool-up(between shifts) but nothing major, I don't really get a lot of black smoke unless I'm lugging it....I maybe have 3 or 4 threads showing on the smoke screw..
91.5IC 4x4 5spd extra springs
valet, 190s, ,18cm, 4"ëxh.
H4 conversion w/relays
rwal mia w/prop. valve
IRoss
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:37 pm

Flash I think you got it backwards a little. If the smoke screw is turned in, the starwheel won't affect it any. The screw will lower fuel on the bottom if you back it out. It overrides the spring at idle, pushes the cone down.
If you turn the starwheel down, it will fuel faster when boost comes on, up, slower.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby flashgordon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:49 pm

PToombs wrote:Flash I think you got it backwards a little. If the smoke screw is turned in, the starwheel won't affect it any. The screw will lower fuel on the bottom if you back it out. It overrides the spring at idle, pushes the cone down.
If you turn the starwheel down, it will fuel faster when boost comes on, up, slower.

Ammmm, ya what PToombs said.
it been a while sence i had the hat off the inj :oops:

The more spring pressure that is applied to the pin/diaphragm the more boost it will require to rise the fuel pin......right?

and the screw on the top sets the fuel pin/diaphragm starting point.....Right, or am i way off base here. :scratch:

Flash
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:04 pm

Yup, you got it. Spring pushes up, boost down. Screw pushes down. Down is more fuel, fast down, faster fuel! :wrench:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby TWorline » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:32 pm

Whoa... slow down there Pete, your getting pretty technical on us. ;-)
Tim Worline
1992 W250 Club Cab LE, S300 62/71, 5" stainless intake, 4" into 5" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, SDX 5X18 Injectors, AirDog 150, Borgeson shaft, Coolingmist Vari-cool, Con OFEK, 3" Stainless CoolerTubz, 354/749.

http://www.CoolerTubz.com/
TWorline
14mm rotor

Postby flashgordon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:38 pm

PToombs wrote:Yup, you got it. Spring pushes up, boost down. Screw pushes down. Down is more fuel, fast down, faster fuel! :wrench:

Cool,

Ya i was thing of slowing down my fuel at boost, to help with my toasty E.G.T. when towing.
But, winter helps a lot on that, and after i get my intercooler installed, I may want to, feed the fire some more. :thumright:

Flash.
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:10 pm

Sorry Tim, I know you're from Ohio! :geek:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby TWorline » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:29 pm

Thats right, I just figured out what that double spiney thingy was!:colors:
Tim Worline
1992 W250 Club Cab LE, S300 62/71, 5" stainless intake, 4" into 5" exhaust, ATS exhaust manifold, SDX 5X18 Injectors, AirDog 150, Borgeson shaft, Coolingmist Vari-cool, Con OFEK, 3" Stainless CoolerTubz, 354/749.

http://www.CoolerTubz.com/
TWorline
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:53 pm

What, this? :finger:

:jumpsmile:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:58 pm

I'd say tighten up your starwheel a few rounds. The longer shut down is exactly what Mom's was doing before we got her pump redone, and I forget what exactly was wrong with it...... I'll mull it over a while. Maybe gov return spring getting tired? What injectors do you have, and how old are they?

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby flashgordon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:12 pm

PToombs wrote:What, this? :finger:

:jumpsmile:

A proctologist that like his job, way to much! :hs: :lol: :lol: :lol:

flash.
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby IRoss » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:57 pm

Ive got the PDR190's daniel, and my timings been advanced as well....on an update, I finally got around to lowering my idle back down from the fuel screw adjustment, and that seemed to help a bit....if I've been on the highway cruising the egt's are fine (750 or so) and will come down fairly well, but its more when I've been cruising around at the lower boost levels (<12 psi or so) that they seem to stick and it takes longer to come back down...I'm pretty happy with the way my pump is adjusted right now, I hit about 30 psi with very little black smoke, so I might just end up turning the fuel screw back a bit, but I appreciate the input...
ian
91.5IC 4x4 5spd extra springs
valet, 190s, ,18cm, 4"ëxh.
H4 conversion w/relays
rwal mia w/prop. valve
IRoss
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:00 pm

If you like the way the truck runs, try backing off the smoke screw first. It's easier to access, and I think you'll find your temps will go down. If you don't like the results, it's easier to turn back up too.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine