Did a burnout, got engine knock...

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Did a burnout, got engine knock...

Postby Tacoclaw » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:08 am

Is is a valvespring keeper? No idea how that would end up in the cylinder but it has that look to it.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:17 am

I'll only run genuine Cummins head gaskets.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Oskar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:06 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:I'll only run genuine Cummins head gaskets.

thanks, did you have bad experience with the other brands?
according to the service manual, the head bolts can be reused, is that really recommended? i have never reused head bolts on any other diesel engine. Saw that RA don't sell any new bolts either..

I will need a new oil pan too, found out that the 94-02 pan is a lot cheaper than 89-93, why? and of course, will it fit? (i have 4x4)
Oskar
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Oskar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Tacoclaw wrote:Is is a valvespring keeper? No idea how that would end up in the cylinder but it has that look to it.

Well, not that either! i just can't figure out where it came from :?: i have checked everything from the air filter to the intake (i havn't removed and inspected the I/C but it's made of aluminium, so i doubt that it contains any steel pieces inside.)

somebody must have dropped this piece down in the IC or plumbing at some point by accident, and then it was laying there until i hit full throttle so the airflow blew it into the cylinder..

I can't see any scratches in the turbine either, if this big piece would have gone throgh the turbo, i'm sure it would mess up the turbine blades.
Oskar
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Oskar wrote:

according to the service manual, the head bolts can be reused, is that really recommended? i have never reused head bolts on any other diesel engine. Saw that RA don't sell any new bolts either..

I will need a new oil pan too, found out that the 94-02 pan is a lot cheaper than 89-93, why? and of course, will it fit? (i have 4x4)

I think the cross member is different....

I've held the other brand head gaskets in my hand and well.......might as well make your own out of cardboard.

I've heard though that Victor Reinz has upped their gaskets and is now identical to the Cummins.

You can re use stock head bolts, if you measure them and they are within spec.

Also, just because something is not listed on a company's site...doesn't mean they can't get it or don't carry it.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Oskar » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:56 pm

RCCUMMINS89 wrote:
Oskar wrote:

I think the cross member is different....

I've held the other brand head gaskets in my hand and well.......might as well make your own out of cardboard.

I've heard though that Victor Reinz has upped their gaskets and is now identical to the Cummins.

You can re use stock head bolts, if you measure them and they are within spec.

Also, just because something is not listed on a company's site...doesn't mean they can't get it or don't carry it.

Thanks!

if the aftermarket gaskets are so bad, i won't even think about using them!

my goal is to find all the parts at the same shop, so i don't need to order from several locations, i'll send you a PM listing the parts i need :)
Oskar
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Sounds good.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:34 pm

Victor-Reinz makes them for Case. I've been blowing 40psi thru mine for 2 years now with no problems. I wouldn't worry about them.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Ya, like I mentioned.......I've heard that they have made them to be equivalent to Cummins.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Oskar » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:50 am

the engine is slowly coming together, the reason why i saw air bubbles coming through the rocker pedestals was the head gasket lesking at each cylinder! i saw small black carbon traces at the area betveen the cyl. and that oil passage.
but how the hell these air bubbles could make it's way through the pedestals is still a question, maby there's small cracks in the metal.. most of the bubbles seeped out around the large bolt though, but i saw a few tiny bubbles in the area between the large and small bolt.

and this is how i made the KDP-mod, i didn't want to place any metal plate because i'm afraid that vibrations can crack the metal, especially if it's bent 90°, then it can easily crack at the bend, instead i made some punch marks in the aluminum housing around it, making the hole smaller so the pin can't make it's way out!
Oskar
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Engine