truck not accelerating with throttle

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

truck not accelerating with throttle

Postby jmd4993 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:45 am

i just did a getrag swap and i went to test drive it and it wouldnt accelerate much at all when i pressed the gas. do i need to take off the TPS or could it be the FSS. i have had to use the manual shut off switch for a little while. i also am having this charging issue at the moment as well.
jmd4993
fuel screw!!!!

Re: truck not accelerating with throttle

Postby JimmieD » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:20 pm

How about posting some more info, like what year and model truck? What trans it had in before the Getrag swap, and whether you swapped a Getrag into it, or out of it, or what? Did you change anything else when you did the trans swap? Also you might describe just what the heck the 'charging issue' is??? Did you change anything electrical when you did the swap? What is battery age and condition? Is it holding voltage? Where you're located, which can make a difference in climate conditions? General condition of truck?
1967 Dodge D-100 Town Wagon - CPL 858 4BT, HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm/56cm turbo, '93 CTD I/C, 32K spring, minor fuel tweaks, milled head, NV4500, 1 ton springs, '72 D-200 Frt. axle w/ Air Lift bags, 4.10 Dana 60HD, F/R swaybars, Tom Woods shaft.

'90 W-350 gasser...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Re: truck not accelerating with throttle

Postby JimmieD » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Okay, never mind my other 2 replies! I've just back-tracked through the long list of your former posts. I see that you have had several problems for quite a while. I also see that you don't have any electrical experience or much general repair experience.

I suggest that the first things you need to do are to educate yourself on 'General Automotive Electrical' as in Theory and Repair Methods. Then do some research on specifics of Dodge Cummins truck electrical. After you've learned how it's supposed to work then you'll need to get the basic tools to test your system, like a Volt/Ohm Meter also called a Digital Multimeter, and Wire Strippers and Wire Terminal Crimper.

Trying to do repairs without first finding out how to do them will always cause problems. It looks like you may have caused quite a few problems now so it may take quite a while to straighten it out. Because of the changes you've made and the problems you've had you need to start with the basics of the system and test all the way through. That includes the Ground system, Battery, Battery cables, Alternator, Charging System, Regulator, general wire condition, then lighting.

Again, you need to learn what the proper repair methods are too, like how to use test tools, how to strip wire using proper gauge of stripper, how to use crimp connectors and how to properly re-insulate wire. Some links that may help:

Refers to Jeep and GM alternators but some good information:
http://oljeep.com/gw/alt/edge_Alternator_Theory.html

Mopar Chrysler/Dodge
http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/questio ... FYING.html

General Theory:
http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

General info:
http://forums.corner-carvers.com/showthread.php?t=34419

It's STRONGLY SUGGESTED that you pick up a Factory Service Manual and also a Haynes Service Manual for your year/model truck. Between the two you'll have detailed information on how to carry out repairs plus all wiring diagrams. Educate yourself on what you've got so you know how to repair it and get it in tip-top condition!
1967 Dodge D-100 Town Wagon - CPL 858 4BT, HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm/56cm turbo, '93 CTD I/C, 32K spring, minor fuel tweaks, milled head, NV4500, 1 ton springs, '72 D-200 Frt. axle w/ Air Lift bags, 4.10 Dana 60HD, F/R swaybars, Tom Woods shaft.

'90 W-350 gasser...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine