Stalling/near stalling when stopping?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Stalling/near stalling when stopping?

Postby RumbleFish » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:29 pm

Buddy of mine just bought a 93 D250 getrag. He said it will stall or nearly stall when you try to stop. When it is close to stalling, he said most of the time it will pick back up and idle fine. I know I have seen a thing on tdr about this, but I didn't have enough patience to use the search, not to mention this is my favorite place (even with Pete and his sheep fetish).
Any ideas on this?? (the truck, not sheep)

I am heading over there with my snap on wrench to do the pump bump. He is gonna run the valves on it and change the fuel filter. I am thinking I might try to buy this from him....I hate not having a truck.

For those that remember form tdr, this is the guy that put the pod's in my early 91 and didn't use the 7 to 9 mm adapters. He bought this thing for a tow vehicle for his 2gen pulling truck, but I don't think he is worthy enough to roll a 1st gen, and sure doesn't seem to know alot aobut them.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:23 pm

Check the rpm, it might be low. What did PB say? Adjust it until the mirrors just quit shaking? ;)

And I don't have a sheep fetish! I just like the Ram better than ewe! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby oldcool90 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:21 pm

Could it be the lift pump going bad or all ready bad??Ive seen them act that way. I like the sheep :lol:
1992 reg cab W-350 5sp 12cm ex housing,pod's,3200rpm gov,and piston lift pump
oldcool90
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:21 pm

So I went out there. So much for the mirror idea, it had the towing mirrors. The idle sure sounded low. We were gonna turn it up, but he said he wanted to put a 3200 spring in it. I concluded that it would be easiest (read: not my truck) to just wait until he has the spring since the pump top has to come off and put the idle screw in backwards. Turns out we got nothing done but alot of beer drinking, which was fine by me.

He wants this truck to tow his pulling truck around. His plan is pod's, hx35, 3200 gsk, and a timing bump.

While I was out there, I found out some more about this truck. 93 D250 LE, club cab, getrag, 3.55, chevy military grille guard (barf), no rust, and he bought it for $1k. Did I mention it had 840,xxx on the odo????? The body looked like it had 140,000 on it. Some fading, some scratches, but solid. He also said that the guy he bought it from had a full set of curtains to cover all the windows, but he already tossed them out.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:28 pm

I figured it might be idle speed, or fuel filter. I agree on waiting til you pull the top. I had to heat my tabs the screw goes thru to get it to move, then I used a small wire brush to clean the paint off. I took it out, wire wheeled it, and slobbered neverseize on it. I put it back in the same way, then a week later I found out about the trick to turn it around! :x

Oldcool, thanks. He's got his own cartoon, (claymation or whatever) on Disney at 7:55 on sunday nites. Funnier than shnit!
Shaun the Sheep rules! :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:32 pm

It's got a fresh looking reman pump on it. It's clean compared to the dusty engine compartment, and its painted cummins tan. I doubt it was the fuel filter unless the PO found some crappy fuel. It looked shiny and clean, like it was put on a week ago.

In addition to the stock temp gauge, it has no less than three aftermarket temp gauges hangin off the dash in various places. One mechanical (sender was coiled up around the brake master cylinder), and two electric, one of which was hooked up. It also had a pull cable setup, but pulling on it resulted in the whole thing coming out in my hand. It still shuts off with the key. I offered him $1200 but he just laughed at me :cyclopsani:
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Too bad, it's obvious he's got you figured out! :lol: Next time, raise the price to $1500. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine