Head gasket blown,......now what?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Head gasket blown,......now what?

Postby Montanashawn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:36 pm

So, I have a blown head gasket in a 1990 w350. It is totally heat related. My wife drove it 30 miles with no radiator, of coolant. I should have locked/ tagged it out. I didn't, and now I have a head gasket that leaks. Some facts about the truck.....
Miles... Best guess 400k.
Maintainance....good
Mods...Nv4500 w/ fixed 5th gear. updated mishimoto radiator, locking rear diff, kdp killed, Vanco hydro boost brakes, sweet Headlights, winch bumper, warn winch, stereo, dual batteries, synthetic fluids everywhere, Blah blah blah.

So, that said, do I.....
1. Buy a reman motor ($5000) this gives me a warranty, and hopefully a motor that lasts another 400k
2. Buy a new head, injectors, and head bolts, and pray the lower end is still good ( $1300) this hopefully lasts another 100k or so
3. Buy a head gasket, and reuse everything else ($135) cheap way, no perf
gains, fingers crossed!

I have the pump turned up a bit. My only complaint is the egt gets a bit (ok a lot) hot while towing. I would lve to gave a efficient, tow up to 15k without backing off machine. Do I sell the whole enchilada, and buy something newer? What do you think?
Montanashawn
fuel pin?

Re: Head gasket blown,......now what?

Postby PToombs » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Check the block, look at the cylinders, If they are ok then have the head checked and surfaced and put on a new gasket and run it. That's the cheap way. Unless you want to go thru the whole thing. There's a few guys on here with trucks with over 400k miles on them and they still run great.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Mines up close to 460xxx and I still daily drive it and it runs great.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:35 am

Tear it apart. That's basically free except your time. Then check tolerances.

You have a non-intercooled engine. Those injectors are pretty big. That explains your hot EGTs.

Reman for $5k? Where are you at? I'm pretty sure you can get that engine rebuilt and installed for that price by a competent repair shop.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Montanashawn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks guys, I'm going to tear it apart starting Wednesday. I found a couple of pretty detailed write ups on the various boards. I found a rebuilt head from a 99 with some lightly used 190 injectors for $575. Any issues with using that head if mine is cracked or warped badly? I'm thinking of doing fuel pin while I have everything apart. If I am looking to just pep it up bit, and tow, would this be a bad idea? I figure as long as I'm this deep into the truck, now would be a good time to make changes.
Montanashawn
fuel pin?

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:45 pm

You do realize a 99 head is a 24v correct? I know people run them but it involves more work. Being a non ic engine your head is going to have cracks just how bad and if its worth running. I'd do like Pete said but I'm a cheap ass. Lol
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Montanashawn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Sorry, typo... 1998. Definitely a 12 Valve.
Montanashawn
fuel pin?

Postby Montanashawn » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:06 am

Does anyone know if the early, non-ic engines had torque-to-yield head bolts, or of they were torque-to- angle? I know the later years are reusable tta, but I have seen several posts indicating that might not be true for the older models.
Thanks
Montanashawn
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:58 pm

IIRC, if you get a head gasket kit, it comes with a bolt stretch gauge . You just put the bolt on it, if it's in the range it's good to put back in. I've never seen single use bolts for these engines.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine