White smoke on start up.

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

White smoke on start up.

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 pm

If I leave the truck sit for awhile when I start it, it fires right up but puffs black smoke followed by white and it runs rough for a split second. what is the white smoke, air leak someplace??

Also I took it on a 350+ mile trip with over 200 miles with a loaded trailer on Saturday. It was pretty chilly Sat morning so I fired it up and let it warm up for a couple minutes while I got the kids loaded up no hazing what so ever. Took it on the trip and pushed it pretty hard on the way down and with the trailer 75mph 100 miles empty 100 miles loaded with an Intrepid. On the way home I kept it at 65 but had a head wind. Sunday I fired it up to unload the trailer and It was hazing really bad and it was warmer than Saturday morning but still chilly. Looked like I had marine injectors in it. I don't know how it was when I took it to work because I didn't let it warm up much. Just took it easy.

So I guess my questions are. What would cause the white smoke after the black smoke on start up after sitting. And What caused it to haze so bad the day after I took it on a trip.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Re: White smoke on start up.

Postby thrashingcows » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Could be one of the intake temp sensors going bad? The KSB and grid heater run off these. If the KSB is going bad it could be running no advance one morning, and working fine the next?
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Return to Engine