What RTV on oil pan and timing cover?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

What RTV on oil pan and timing cover?

Postby Diesel » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:28 pm

What color RTV do you guys use on the oil pan and timing cover? I usually have better luck with RTV on those types of seals then I do with gaskets. Can I go pure RTV on those places instead of gasket?
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Re: What RTV on oil pan and timing cover?

Postby jethro » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:14 pm

I used a little ultra grey in spots on both but not a full coat since I was using an actual gasket on both.
I did notice that before I put the pan back on- that the heights of the gear cover and the rear seal housing were about 15 thousandths
above the height of the block (where the pan gasket contacts) -- so I worried about that "step" there I used a little smear of the ultra grey there to make a little ramp in case the gasket didn't want to bridge there completely.

Someone here pointed out to me (and I didn't know because I hadn't used it before) that the ultra grey is pretty hard and stiff
when cured- considerably more hard and rigid than the ultra red or the other colors. I tested some on some scrap and checked it a few days later- wow that crap it pretty strong ! I can see how that stuff alone could make a pretty formidable gasket and seal in an interface. (or even an adhesive) Just get everything REALLY clean- do brake cleanse multiple times till its spotless- then do
methanol a couple times- let dry and don't touch it with fingers. I have never had an oil leak after doing it that way.
That's my small experience.....FWIW
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:34 am

If I use paper gaskets of any kind,I glue them on. I use that 3M weather stripping adhesive,tough stuff and cures pretty quickly.
I also use the ultra grey silicone,its almost become the only one I'll use because it's so ridged.

As for the timing cover I would glue one side just to hold it to the cover so it would stay put upon assembly. They don't usually leak anyhow,that gasket is pretty thick. On the timing case to block gasket I'd glue the hell out of it on both sides :lol:
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:12 am

So nobody is replacing the pan gasket with just RTV?
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:31 am

I wouldn't,not on a stamped steel flang. That silicone is good but I don't know if I would trust it that far.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:49 pm

I use the ultra copper on almost everything and had good luck with it. I usually put it on 1 side to hold a gasket but sometimes both depending on what it is.
I think I'd use a gasket on the pan also.
IIRC to use only RTV you put on a bead, wait for it to set a little then put the part on and finger tight the bolts. Then you wait an hour or something, then tighten it the rest of the way.

Just remember, the roll you see on the outside after you assemble it has a twin brother on the inside ready to come loose and plug things up. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Diesel » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Haha yeah I ended up getting a Victor Reinz/Mahle pan gasket. Will be coating both sizes in either ultra copper or black RTV.
Diesel
14mm rotor

Postby BobS » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:58 pm

I been using Permatex ultra black silicone adhesive only on the tin sides. Put it on the tin and place the gasket in place. Keep it in place for 15 minutes and put it in place. Never had a leak yet. I had a rivet vibrate through the CPL tag. I used the same stuff to glue the cpl tag back in place. It required having it braced over night. That was 3 years ago and it's still in place. Good stuff but don't get it on you skin and let it dry. Very difficult to remove and usually sticks around on your skin for a few days.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Return to Engine