White Smoke/ Grinding at idle... stumped

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

White Smoke/ Grinding at idle... stumped

Postby LandTug2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:15 am

Hey everyone, I have been on cumminsforum as LandTug1 for about a year now and have been meaning to come hang out with you fine folks!

I had some issues today with the old girl after installing my new compound setup and wanted to see if I could pick your guys' brain over it. I posted this on the other forum as well put thought I should reach out to more 1st gen owners.

So I just got the truck back on the road after building a compound set up. On the road I mean driveable for short distances ie: no fan, heater hose leaks, turbo feed oil fitting leaks, down pipe exhaust with the rest bungeed to the frame... anyways, I had driven it last weekend once about a mile and up and down my road, got it up to around 70, no issues. Today, I took some friends for a quick ride in a big loop about 3 or 4 miles. Got on it a few times, (up to 90 mph) then let off. EGTs hit 1050 f., fuel pressure was fine. Oil pressure looked good... no issues. Backed it into the driveway and got out and let it idle for a few minutes to cool the egt's down before shutting it off. After a few minutes checked the egt's and they were exactly where they were when we pulled in (650 f.) then I heard a noise that sounded like the starter tried to engage for a second. Then, it made the same noise again. I shut it down at this time, and a bunch of white smoke that smelled like electrical stuff billowed out from under the truck (under the cab area) so we pushed it by hand into the garage to get a better look (bending my door in the process on the gate... Got it in, looked under neath, nothing out of the ordinary. Pulled the cold pipe and intake pipe off and checked the turbos. Both spun freely, and no shaft play. puzzled, started it up again. No noise but white smoke and shut it down in a few seconds. We couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from so I started it again. No noise, no smoke. Thought it could have been oil on the clutch surfaces some how. While off, engaged the clutch and rowed through the gears like normal, no issues. Started it and engaged the clutch in idle a few times, no issues. Then rolled it forward and backwards with the clutch a few times, no issues.

Now like I said it is leaking coolant in a few places, and oil from the fittings.

This is what I could think of:

1. blown head gasket; not sure how it would make the noise, temperature stayed normal, not sure if this would effect egts... also never got the boost above 35 40 which is where I was with the previous set up...

2. coolant on the clutch surfaces; not sure how this would effect egts either, could cause white smoke, not sure how it would get there or if slipping clutches make that noise but it would evaporate on a hot engine and leave no evidence...

3. turbos starved of oil; unlikely, if this was the case further damage would have been found when I checked the turbos correct?

I am at a loss at this point, does anyone have any other ideas?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
'93 D250 5x16s, Stg1 pin, 3200 gov spg, stiffer afc spring, pump tuning, Super Harmonic Damper, Timing Spacer, hx35/ht3b compounds, 100 gpm lift pump, 12" Cone filter, Moog Springs, pyro/drive pressure/boost/f. pressure/tach gauges,valet switch, 4'' straight pipe, mag hitec dif cover
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Re: White Smoke/ Grinding at idle... stumped

Postby BC847 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:43 am

LandTug2 wrote:then I heard a noise that sounded like the starter tried to engage for a second. Then, it made the same noise again. I shut it down at this time, and a bunch of white smoke that smelled like electrical stuff billowed out from under the truck (under the cab area)

If it looks like dog poop, smells like dog poop, . . . . . :lol:

I'd look hard at all the wiring you've been around while doing all the upgrades. Something on a sharp corner? Something on a hot surface? Is that little metal tag on the main fuel-screw rotated around and intermittently touching the Fuel Shut-off Solenoid terminal (on a stock/OEM IP ;) )? Stuff like that.

You might even consider opening the outer jacket of the main wiring harness at the firewall and look for toasted insulation.
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby LandTug2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:29 am

Yea I see what your saying. I think today I will go over the engine bay with a fine tooth comb and see if I find anything out of the ordinary. Never thought about the metal tab on the shut off screw. Just something I thought of last night as well; could it be possible that I sucked a big piece of carbon out of the engine and into my small turbo? If it was clogging part of the exhaust in anyway it could have caused the egt's then when it let loose it hit the exhaust turbine and could have made the noises and possibly the white smoke. Might be a stretch but something I thought of.
'93 D250 5x16s, Stg1 pin, 3200 gov spg, stiffer afc spring, pump tuning, Super Harmonic Damper, Timing Spacer, hx35/ht3b compounds, 100 gpm lift pump, 12" Cone filter, Moog Springs, pyro/drive pressure/boost/f. pressure/tach gauges,valet switch, 4'' straight pipe, mag hitec dif cover
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LandTug2 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:30 am

Thank you for the reply by the way.
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Richie O » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:20 am

I have never had egt's hang at 650 at idle for even one minute. Either your gauge is frigged or a wiring issue is making things go whacky. If it did in fact stay at 650 for several minutes at idle it ain't normal.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:47 pm

Whose gauges?
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:49 pm

LandTug2 wrote:could it be possible that I sucked a big piece of carbon out of the engine and into my small turbo? If it was clogging part of the exhaust in anyway it could have caused the egt's then when it let loose it hit the exhaust turbine and could have made the noises and possibly the white smoke. Might be a stretch but something I thought of.

Nope. Any carbon that came out would be small pieces chopped up by the valves, and the smoke would have been out of the pipe and not under the cab.
I agree with the others, look for a wiring issue.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby LandTug2 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:43 pm

Hmmmmm.... all good info. It hasn't happened since and I have driven it quite a bit so I guess Ill have to wait until the gremlin pops back up. It just kinda freaked me out after sinking all this time and money into a set of compounds haha.
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jethro » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:10 pm

Could it be a faulty started solenoid attempting to send the starter gear into the faster turning flywheel ?
Maybe check your ignition key wires and check for a worn key mechanism. If the dodge has a relay between the key and the starter solenoid - check that too ! If it was to do it again- cut the wire going to the starter solenoid and put an insulated bullet connector there. then start the engine- pull the bullet connectors apart and go for a drive. Better yet - unplug the horn wires-
run a jumper from the bullet connector to the horn. If you hear the horn beep while you are test driving- you know something
in the ignition circuit is making electrically when it shouldn't. just my creative way to fault find :clown:

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:39 am

^ that's what I was thinking, if you're sure it sounded like the starter I'd check all the starter wiring. Easy thing would be to start the truck then unhook the connector that goes to the starter, it's the 2-prong connector that's right off the positive terminal, red and brown wires. (I do love the horn idea, I've suggested similar before)

We've had starters stick engaged on equpiment before and they reek of burning electrical. They usually aren't fond of restarting the machine afterward though.

Your definition of driveable sounds exactly like mine, but I forgot my hood and passenger fender too. 8)
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby LandTug2 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:17 am

Haha that is one awesome creative way. I think Ill try it if it surfaces again. It was strange how it happened only once and no collateral damage afterwards.... guess I shouldn't complain :?
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LandTug2 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:18 am

Oldstof: The gauges are autometer
LandTug2
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jethro » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:54 am

One of the first times I ran my engine ( on a test stand) I ran it for about 2-3 min and then pulled the wire off the fuel solenoid. So im standing there and the motor stops and I hear this sound that sounds like a vacuum cleaner running.
Im thinking- the turbo doesn't seem to be slowing down... ( I think that for about 2 seconds.. anyway :D )
Then its - OH CRAP- :twisted: - the starter is stuck on- so I yanked the starter battery wire. All the time the engine was on- the starter was running but NOT engaged into the ring gear. So it was running unloaded. It was reasonably hot none the less. So after that I never left the battery on the starter circuit after it started. It sounded like it was going about 4 or 5000 rpm ! I guess the brushes are broke in now ! :bom:
I guess the solenoid was bad on it . I will be using a 6.0 liter ford starter so I wont need it anyway. Works fine- may need the
solenoid cleaned or replaced. (?)

T
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine