Fuel Tank

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Fuel Tank

Postby xohcef » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:07 am

I have a question followed by my short scenario here guys, so I'll give you the run - down. A year ago I was doing some welding on the bed of my truck. Well I never thought to cover the plastic fuel tank. I'm a dumbass. Over the last year, obviously. I've had a ton of dirt fall into the tank and I can obviously tell my injectors have taken a hit, as well as the 3 aeromotive pumps that I've put in it this year, due to contamination. Well I got sick of replacing 400+$ lift pumps and decided on going with 2 cheaper in line pumps (2xWalbro 255lph). I know this isn't fixing my "hole in fuel tank" issue, so I had a buddy who has access to a bunch of scrap steel build me a 39 use-able gallon tank. My question, because I've had a bunch of people tell me differently, is does the tank need to be coated on the inside? I'm tired of replacing fuel system components, and know I'll probably have to pay some attention to an injection pump and probably replace these brand new injectors I put in this year. I just want to make sure my bases are covered when this new tank goes in so I don't have any more issues.
93 d350 extended cab dually, NV5600, he351cw, DDP stage 3, industrial man ported, ported head, 60# springs, 354 spring, holley blue, aeromotive fpr, South bend single disc/hydros, kelderman dual bag.
xohcef
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Fuel Tank

Postby SWI Don » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:30 am

If you keep if full, drive it often, normal truck operation, then no you should have no issues. If it is lightly used, stays long periods with nearly empty tank, then lining it would be beneficial. It's all about condensation control. Full tanks do not have it, active tanks flush it through to reside in your water trap.

The antique tractor guys and the motorcycle guys like to use a tank liner as they are either infrequently used, never filled up, have custom design/paint, or are antique and no longer made. They have several reasons to invest in a tank lining system.

If you want to do it so you can sleep well at night. Several of the antique tractor guys I know like Kreem. http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

There are several others that are good. I can't think of the others off the top of my head.

Don
1994 Chevy K2500 w/ 93 NON-I/C 6BT-A, 60# valve springs, H1C w/16cm housing, NV4500, 4:10 gears. My beast of burden.
SWI Don
fuel pin?

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:58 am

Aren't you somewhere around Ohio, xo? I've got a good tank/sender setup from a 92 laying around.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby xohcef » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:42 pm

I am in Colorado, Taco. I appreciate the offer, I however already have the tank made up and pretty much finished my project.

Thank you for the other response. Good thing is, it's constantly getting fueled up. It's the daily driver and RARELY ever sees a day off. Thanks for the quick replies.
93 d350 extended cab dually, NV5600, he351cw, DDP stage 3, industrial man ported, ported head, 60# springs, 354 spring, holley blue, aeromotive fpr, South bend single disc/hydros, kelderman dual bag.
xohcef
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bmoeller » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:03 am

If you live half way close to me, I have several stock fuel tanks I can get rid of cheap. :)
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Return to Engine