KSB what does it hook to? (need a pic)

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

KSB what does it hook to? (need a pic)

Postby SWI Don » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:21 am

The subject says it all. I'm dealing with a 1st get non I/C engine swapped into a 1994 Chevy. The swap wasn't done by me but now I am trying to clean up some lose ends.

One thing that is not hooked up is the KSB wax motor on the side of the pump. I have gathered that I need to have an key on hot source go through a temp switch and then to the KSB. Where is this switch and what does it look like? Also if anyone happens to know what the connector is that would be great also.

The other question is the fuel heater. Can I just run a hot wire to the heater? Is it self regulating? Is there an temp switch on the engine that I need to wire in series? What does it look like? If anyone happens to know what the connectors are for the fuel heater and possible switch I would much appreciate it.

Thanks,

Don
1994 Chevy K2500 w/ 93 NON-I/C 6BT-A, 60# valve springs, H1C w/16cm housing, NV4500, 4:10 gears. My beast of burden.
SWI Don
fuel pin?

Re: KSB what does it hook to? (need a pic)

Postby 1992gen1_fan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:26 pm

For your ksb, you can run a jumper from the fss. The non-i/c's require 12v to the ksb any time the engine is runnin or else the timing will stay fully advanced.

Someone else will have a better idea on the fuelvheater, haven't messed with the one on my truck in a while.
'92 Dodge w350, 5 spd, Dana 80 3.54, timing spacer, ground stock pin&3200 spring, vgt, hungry diesel piston pump, water/meth, Honed stock injectors, 4" turbo back, light IP adjustments
1992gen1_fan
fuel screw!!!!

Postby SWI Don » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:51 pm

Mine has never been hooked up as long as I've had it. I guess I will hook it up and see how it runs.

I didn't know I had a fuel heater until a few days ago. Would have saved be a lot of grief gelling up on cold days.
1994 Chevy K2500 w/ 93 NON-I/C 6BT-A, 60# valve springs, H1C w/16cm housing, NV4500, 4:10 gears. My beast of burden.
SWI Don
fuel pin?

Postby SWI Don » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:06 am

Is the sensor / switch circled in the photos below the one that controls the KSB or is it feedback for the grid heaters? Or if none of the above what does it do? The cummins service manual I have says the ksb is controlled by a switch that disables it after the air temp get to 90F / 32C.

Thanks

Don

BTW if anyone has an aftercooler setup like in the top picture I am interested.
SWI Don
fuel pin?

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:19 am

Just jump it straight off the FSS like said above, that style isn't an instant-on so it the truck will still start advanced like normal and kick over to normal within 30seconds or so of starting.

That's how I've got mine set up, it works fine. You oughta hook it up, mine wasn't making good connection due to the crappy blade connector and my truck rattled like crazy, interior panels and all. Put an eyelet on it and cut the rattling almost back to stock levels, before I put full poly mounts on it.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Return to Engine