compression test

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

compression test

Postby manostihl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:16 pm

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-piece-d ... 93644.html will this compression tester work on a 12 valve
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Re: compression test

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:30 pm

I'd say no, it doesn't list an adapter for a Cummins. The other thing is if you use a generic adapter like that black one, it's too short. When you test it you may get 250psi and you will think you have low compression, when the adapter is actually too small and you can't build up the compression enough because it doesn't fill the injector hole. We made some at work, and if they aren't right they aren't accurate. You can compare between cylinders to see if 1 is lower than the others, but the reading is low across the board.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:41 pm

I said this in your other thread, but I ordered one from Napa and the threads were wrong on the piece that goes in the injector hole....I borrowed one that came from harbor freight and it wasn't right either.
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby manostihl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:15 pm

AHineman wrote:I said this in your other thread, but I ordered one from Napa and the threads were wrong on the piece that goes in the injector hole....I borrowed one that came from harbor freight and it wasn't right either.

O i forgot sorry
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby manostihl » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:17 pm

PToombs wrote:I'd say no, it doesn't list an adapter for a Cummins. The other thing is if you use a generic adapter like that black one, it's too short. When you test it you may get 250psi and you will think you have low compression, when the adapter is actually too small and you can't build up the compression enough because it doesn't fill the injector hole. We made some at work, and if they aren't right they aren't accurate. You can compare between cylinders to see if 1 is lower than the others, but the reading is low across the board.

Dang well i dont know what to do then. I cant afford the one from snap on
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby AHineman » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:27 pm

manostihl wrote:
AHineman wrote:I said this in your other thread, but I ordered one from Napa and the threads were wrong on the piece that goes in the injector hole....I borrowed one that came from harbor freight and it wasn't right either.

O i forgot sorry

No biggie. :lol:

Why do you need one, as in do you want to check it because of the miss you were talking about?
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Postby manostihl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:59 am

AHineman wrote:
manostihl wrote:

O i forgot sorry

No biggie. :lol:

Why do you need one, as in do you want to check it because of the miss you were talking about?

Yeah just wanted to check it while i had my injectors out so i know
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby wilkyflex » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

WHERE CAN I GET A COMPRESSION TEST KIT THAT WILL WORK ON MY 12V CUMMINS?

iS THERE A ADAPTER SIZE AND NAME ANYONE CAN SHARE?
wilkyflex
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine