exhaust manifold gaskets

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

exhaust manifold gaskets

Postby jethro » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:17 pm

was about to put on my exhaust manifold. I have changed the bolts out for studs. I noticed that the metal
gaskets have little tabs on the inside of the bolt holes. These appear to be there to engage the bolt threads so the gaskets
don't fall off before you get the manifold up to the block. Is it OK just to dremel away the little triangular tabs ? (no way to get the gaskets on with the studs in. if I just pushed them on the tabs would prevent the manifold from seating)

The other question- the gaskets have a pressed-in rib in the middle - does the raised rib go towards the block or manifold ?
(Chrysler manual does not say----)

Thanks
Tim

PS- got all my block holes bottom tapped- A1 head studs in- got the gasket and head on and did the initial pre-torque tonight. Going to let it set overnight at 70 ft-lbs to let the gasket compress.
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: exhaust manifold gaskets

Postby manostihl » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:15 pm

jethro wrote:was about to put on my exhaust manifold. I have changed the bolts out for studs. I noticed that the metal
gaskets have little tabs on the inside of the bolt holes. These appear to be there to engage the bolt threads so the gaskets
don't fall off before you get the manifold up to the block. Is it OK just to dremel away the little triangular tabs ? (no way to get the gaskets on with the studs in. if I just pushed them on the tabs would prevent the manifold from seating)

The other question- the gaskets have a pressed-in rib in the middle - does the raised rib go towards the block or manifold ?
(Chrysler manual does not say----)

Thanks
Tim

PS- got all my block holes bottom tapped- A1 head studs in- got the gasket and head on and did the initial pre-torque tonight. Going to let it set overnight at 70 ft-lbs to let the gasket compress.

i cant see how grinding away the little tabs would hurt the gaskets at all, as for the ribbed part of the gaskets i cant remember which way i put mine on when i did them but im sure someone else knows. if its the stock manifold youre using i would have it resurfaced while its off. i did mine and it still leaks >:(
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DMan1198 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:59 pm

When I did manifold studs on my 6.7 I could get the mls gaskets on after I threaded in the studs. It just took some gentle prodding, and much clicking of the gaskets as they went over the threads. On The Roo Hunter I stripped one of the holes in the head, so it's been drilled and tapped the next standard size bigger, and it requires starting the bolt with the gasket next to the head. All the others aren't much trouble to slide through the gasket holes
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:10 pm

I just dremeled out the little tabs. no problem. I just guessed at which way I faced the raised ribs.
I am using a new manifold- one that puts the turbo farther back- so its faces should be flat.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine