Timing marks on IP differ from pump to pump?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Re: Timing marks on IP differ from pump to pump?

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:41 am

Unless it is a bad ip, I'm thinking you are on the right track with timing.

No pump adjustments will cause plumes of white smoke, afc settings, etc....
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby JWNathan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:09 am

Well it might just be a bad pump then, sucks as it's new take off pump, but took the gear train cover off and the gear didn't jump a tooth. Interesting to see how lil room there is in there, I mean it has almost enough room to clear the cam gear to be able to rotate the drive gear but not quite.

Now the question is should I advance it anyway since I'm in there and overall it seems to be retarded?

Side note, also total rookie mistake and dropped the woodruff key, spent over an hour with a strong light and a magnet trying to find it, not much room in there but there's enough that I guess if it landed on it's side I could've slid down past the cam gear and into the pan. Oh well, just hasn't been my year!
-Jesse
1993 W250 w/ 330k mi, NV4500, full 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Denny T stage 1 fuel pin, 3200 gov spring, 6x10 VCO nozzles.
JWNathan
fuel pin?

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:20 am

It happens man, I've done it myself...more than once. There is an easy fix though, GENTLY peen the side of the key slot in the IP shaft, and GENTLY tap the key in. I haven't had one fallout yet, makes lining things up super easy.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby JWNathan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:09 pm

Ya I generally work up a burr on the side of the key with a punch. Didn't do it this time when I was installing the pump last month, got lazy and did a dab of loctite instead. Thats what I get! Hahaha. Think I'll drain the oil and try to "flush" the key towards the drain plug hole.
-Jesse
1993 W250 w/ 330k mi, NV4500, full 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Denny T stage 1 fuel pin, 3200 gov spring, 6x10 VCO nozzles.
JWNathan
fuel pin?

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:01 am

I've been lucky, as every time I dropped the key it stopped before it got into the pan. Worst case scenario is you'll have to drop the pan, not exactly the funniest job.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby JWNathan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:07 pm

So after waiting out the rain the last few weeks I finally got it all back together. I did advance it one tooth then set the pump all the way back. Still issues but interesting none the less.

First off, went to bump the engine over a couple times to make sure the serpentine belt was on all it's lil' grooves and the engine fired right up, I mean I barely tapped the key and it fired up and idled. Albeit slow it was idling and not smoking much. Actually surprised the hell outta me.

Next I went over and advanced the pump to see if it would clear up or start to rattle more. It smoothed out slightly but no drastic change from one end to the other. So right now it's tightened down up to the head. Not right but it at least idles and doesn't kill the skeeters.

I still have no throttle, as in moving the throttle does nothing, speed doesn't pick up, zero. Now with the fuel pin removed out of the AFC housing and the throttle pull wide open it picks up rpm but only a couple hundered maybe.

So let me recap; advanced one tooth and rocked all the way over to the head (that's what 18 degrees?), fuel pin out, and at wide open throttle it idles smoothly and doesn't really smoke.

I realize it's probably a bad pump in some way but it's all so odd that it runs at all but has no throttle. Advancing it definitely made it smoke less and over all besides the low idle speed it actually is pretty smooth, and boy does it start easy, tap the key and she's popping right along. I realize this is kinda beyond troubleshooting and more of a science experiment on my part but does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
-Jesse
JWNathan
fuel pin?

Previous

Return to Engine