turbo drain tube materials

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

turbo drain tube materials

Postby jethro » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:56 pm

put my turbo back together today and mounted it for the first time (re-clocked- cleaned and painted)
The oil supply line barely fit- (since the turbo is about 4 inches farther back now)

Was looking at the drain tube. :D
I found a copper pipe the exact same size as the steel one. The steel one has the diamond flange silver soldered into the tube.
I can un-solder it and possibly re silver solder it to the copper tube- which I can either bend to add copper elbows to make it go to the drain snout in block. Any good reason copper wouldn't work ? Only issues I can think of might be corrosion or fatigue resistance..... (can paint the outside- )

Another possibility I remembered was more unusual-
I have a piece of all stainless soft flexible air ( I think) hose. It is composed of 3 layers of stainless steel- inner - middle and outer.
One is a braided mesh, another is interlocking short tubes, and I cant remember what the other layer looks like.
Some how I guess it manages to be airtight. It is very flexible (at least as much as heater hose)
Anyone used this ?????? I believe it was terminated with silver soldered-on ends. (has none now)
I don't even know what this stuff is called ..... never seen a piece this long either......
It is about 3/4 ID and about 1 inch OD and about 5 feet long.....
I think it is like this (http://www.metraflex.com/flexmet_superflex.php )

Also- are there any rubber hoses (oil proof) with external braid that would be reliable enough ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: turbo drain tube materials

Postby PToombs » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:50 pm

When I built my twins I cut the stock drains and used copper to plumb it back in. I used 3/4" silicone heater hose to connect everything. It is oil and heat resistant and is almost the same as what our stock hose is.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby fatty » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:30 pm

I put a spacer between my manifold and turbo about 4 years ago and it made my stock oil drain too short. I just cut it in half and hose clamped a piece of hose that I got from a hydraulic shop in between the cut pieces. It hasn't given me a problem yet.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:07 pm

I heated up the flange and pulled it off (it is brass!)
I found a length of chrome-molly steel tube which fits perfectly back into the diamond.
I will cut and weld the bend areas to take it close to the block and forward to the dump tube.
I also remembered I had some surplus blue silicone heater hose which should make an OK connection.
I will try this for a while and see if it works OK.

The flexible stainless tube I had would probably work too but a little more trouble to attach.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:38 pm

I thought about removing the flange from mine, then decided to just solder a copper bend on the end of the drain after I cut it back.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:06 pm

Ended up just welding one up out of some 3/4 seamed steel tubing. Put a bushing on each end to bring the diameter up just a little.
Seems to work OK.

T
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine