Endless Injection Pump Problems

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Endless Injection Pump Problems

Postby Ryker Carruthers » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:34 am

I bought my 92 w250 in mid april of last year, after a few months of driving it it died going down the road one day. Return springs were all broken up, rotor seized in the head. All delivery valves were junk. It was done by a pump shop. After I got the truck back that time I drove it a month or so, then one day heading home it died again. This time the pin sheared off of the cam plate. They had it for a month again and then I drove it again for maybe 3 weeks, since i got it back from them that time it had made a loud, I mean loud clattering noise from the pump. You would hear it over the engine, hood shut, 30 feet away. I called the pump shop and he asked if I could pull the timing case cover, so we did. Nothing out of the ordinary. Teeth were all okay, but as we turned the engine over you could hear the pump clicking, like it had bad catches every so many degrees of a revolution. And more than any other mechanical pump I have heard. I grabbed the sides of the pump gear and I could push it side to side... IIrc it moved enough it could hit the timing case. He told me to take it to him. He said the pump shaft had .02 mm wear and the bushing was bad. So they had it for another month and got it better again. It still clattered like a mofo. I put 3k miles on it and it got worse. He has it again. He thinks something is in the timing case causing this?? What could change in the timing case to do this? Is something just completely wrong with my pump? I don't want to throw another on there and have the chance of eating it too unless you guys tell me to...
Thanks.
Ryker Carruthers

92 W250 g360 3.55's
Ryker Carruthers
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Endless Injection Pump Problems

Postby thrashingcows » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:30 am

I can't think of anything in the timing case that would cause this. And I have Never come across a timing case problem that would wear out an IP.

I think you have just had really crummy luck with your IP AND the guy doing the work. I'd get yourself another IP and start fresh. Might want to suck it up and buy a new unit with a warranty as well.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:06 pm

Same builder and you keep having problems. Try a different shop.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Even a broke clock is right twice a day so I'd look hard before condemning the builder. I wish I had an idea to offer but I don't. It is just that injection pump shops don't stay in business long if they're not any good.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Better come get that pump from me if you think you're gonna need it, I'm about ready to use it being the only known good pump out of the eight I have :lol:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Engine