IP gear keyway/key question

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

IP gear keyway/key question

Postby jethro » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:57 pm

I am ready to pull the IP gear off the shaft. Looking at the center of the gear/shaft from front through oil filler hole......
Seeing a keyway in center of gear which appears to be about twice as high as it is wide. When I look back into the keyway-
it appears that what I THINK might be the key- is just barely taller than the OD of the shaft- is THAT the key ?
It certainly doesn't appear to fill the height of the keyway in the gear if that is it................ would have expected the key
to be much taller.... ?????
Am I looking at the key ????
I want to positively identify it so I don't drop it as the shaft and gear slide apart !

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: IP gear keyway/key question

Postby thrashingcows » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:06 am

Yes that is the key. Has there been any previous IP work done on your motor from previous owners? Maybe the original key was lost and a replacement was installed? The key generally gets "sticky" into the IP shaft over time. I can't recall ever having one come loose when pulling the IP....usually have to use a punch and hammer to tap it free after it's on the bench.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:05 am

Got the pump off tonight - without losing the key- the key was loose in the way !
The pulley was WAY HARD stuck on the taper though. It poped like a 22 when it broke loose !
Should I make a new key with a taller profile ????

Thanks
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby thrashingcows » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:09 pm

Your key is a semi-circle shape right? The rounded side goes down into the IP shaft, and the remaining sticks above it into the keyway. I have re-installed the original key in all the IP's I've done, never had a problem.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 am

thrashingcows wrote:I have re-installed the original key in all the IP's I've done, never had a problem.

EVERY pump I have swapped and others, I've re-used the original key.

Normally, the key sits loosely in the slot and the pump can be a little tricky to get aligned with the gear upon install. What I do is take a small flat punch and GENTLY roll over the edge of the slot on the pump shaft, just enough that you'll have to tap the key into the slot in the pump shaft. This allows the key to stay in place during installation, and it normally will stay in place and not fall out. I do this to every pump I build, and works every time.

An easy way to get the pump shaft to free itself from the gear is to use a small puller of sorts. The puller I use has two slots in it, I'll take two shorter intake horn bolts out and use them on the puller. The thread size on the gear is the same as the intake horn bolts, M8 I believe. The puller is small enough to work in the limited space between the timing case and the fan.

Hope this helps ya bud ;)
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Return to Engine