Pump issues

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Pump issues

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:13 pm

Got a buddy who picked up a 1stgen. I told him to post his own crap here, but he's obviously not going to. :lol:

Anyway, he had a issue where it stopped shutting off with the key. I told him to use the shutoff lever, and he said that didn't work either. It's got a DennyT AFC delete.

Our local diesel guy got ahold of it and he found a chipped FSS plunger, and apparently the DennyT setup disabled the shutoff lever. He's never dealt with the delete before, so we're not sure if they're supposed to do that, but just putting that out there.

Anyway, on his test drive afterward, if he took the throttle past ~7/8 travel, the truck dropped down to en extremely low idle, and would die if not let completely back out. If let completely back out, the idle would pick right back up and be ready for throttle application again. It's like a switch too, completely repeatable.

He called me a week or so later, today, and said it was doing it almost right off the bat. If he pushed a little farther through the travel, it would pick up and go fine, but right off the stop it was dropping down and trying to die like before at full travel.

He's got a factory LP still, I told him to check his oil for fuel and get back to me, which he didn't do so I assume it's still good, but I don't think that's the problem. It's literally like a light switch, the second that pedal went past the 7/8 position, it went straight to dying.

Just wondering if there's anything internal in the pump that may cause such a thing. Our local dude is good with them, but he's never dealt with the delete and has no clue if it may be causing this or not.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Re: Pump issues

Postby RCCUMMINS89 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:50 pm

The Denny delete does have a spot for the shut off lever, it probably just wasn't either installed..... or adjusted right.

As far as the rest........I mentally can't imagine the fulcrum lever being screwed up in a way where it could cause that.

Potentially the throttle levers somehow hitting the fss wiring? I'd say fix the fuel shut off, and then gut the fss.... see if it fixes it.

Otherwise get a fuel pressure gauge on it and watch it.
89 RC on shortened 92 diesel frame - NV4500 w/dual disc/4.10s on 37s. - Self built pump, "hot screw", lots of timing, True high volume low pressure lift pump, 62fmw/68/.7gated, 77lpm SAC Inj., Studs/O-rings,- 423/1220 Mustang - 11/16/2013 http://www.TheHungryDiesel.com full line dealer, if you don't see it please ask.
RCCUMMINS89
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:04 pm

The lever is there, it just doesn't work. I'll get him to spline it some and see if we can get it working. I think the pump guy said something was physically missing from it in there I kinda forgot the whole conversation TBH.

I'll holler at him and get some more info on the lever.
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby AHineman » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Who's truck?

Sounds like whoever put the afc delete on didn't index anything correctly.
Andrew

Owner of two old 1stgens and not much else.
AHineman
14mm rotor

Return to Engine