idle lever indexing

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

idle lever indexing

Postby jethro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:52 pm

I had my pump gone through and the O-Rings replaces and given attention internaly. They also turned the fuel up a little bit
and installed my new gov. spring.
The Motor runs way better- smoothe as silk (I think I could balance a nickel in the block) and very much better throttle response.
However the idle was a bit high when I first ran it. Tonight I pulled back the idle screw all the way- that helped to get it back down to close to where it used to be. But I would like it to be a little lower. I notice that the stop screw is withdrawn
below the where the lever touches the end of the stop screw. The lever is now bottoming out on the housing so it cant go any lower as-is.

I notice that the stop lever rides on top of another main lever below it. It also appears that the stop lever must have a central hole with possibly 1 or 2 flats which engage similar flats in the shaft. I am thinking that there should be an aftermarket
stop lever which has the flats rotated about 10 degrees (or 15) so as to restore the full range of the stop screw.
I think I could even re-work a surplus lever to accomplish the same thing. (if the hole has a flat or flats and not a spline.-
though if it had a spline it could be advanced a tooth----- bet it has flats--- )

Could also get another lever- remove flat- then drill a #3 hole through the flanges of both plates where they overlap-
then put a #3 bolt- castle nut with cotter pin in the hole to lock them together.

Anyone try a scheme like this ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: idle lever indexing

Postby jethro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:21 pm

No Ideas ? I am sure lots of people must have had this problem after turning fuel up a little......
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:31 pm

I have....but am hesitant to answer pump questions as I'm really new to the internals and major adjustments. I can tell you that if the fuel screw is cranked in you loose more throttle travel but the idle goes up. So you have to back off the idle screw some. If they(builder) indexed it wrong while putting the pump back together then there would be a chance you'll have to jump it a notch.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:35 pm

After rereading some.....the throttle shaft is splined and can move in several positions.

I can post up a few pics in th morning if you like
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 pm

Thanks ellis-
I figured it had to be either flats or splined....... splines would be great.... maybe--- potentially I could just
index over one spline.....
What I would like to "see" is how the big socket head screw with the little screw in the middle retains the 2 levers......
I don't dare unscrew anything before I KNOW what the screw is holding ! (and where)- especially in something as complicated as that ! (PLUS I HAVNT BEEN INSIDE ONE OF THOSE BEFORE- )
Somewhere I have seen pictures of how all that comes apart for changing the fuel pin or the gov. spring..... (but that may be all up on top)

If you would like to post a pic - I think anything there that I could see might help.....

Thanks- Tim

Be nice to get a junk pump and take it apart and put it back together again....
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:53 am

Look thru here. Second post shows the lever splines
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16417
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks so much ellis-
I remember seeing that post but I didn't look all the way through it.
All that delicate mechanism all tore up- makes me want to run a little marvel mystery oil in the fuel as extra protection
for all those close fitting parts......

I see the lever with its splines and the spline marks...... jumping about 1 or 2 of those might get me back in the correct range...

Do you just take the allen bolt out of the center to remove the lever(s) ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:21 am

Yeah but that Allen is a nut. If to look in the center of it you'll see the throttle shaft stud. As you unscrew the nut you'll pull up on the arm that the turn buckle linkage goes to,and it will separate from the lower throttle arm (second post pic).

Once that first arm is off you'll be able to see that scale and if you look at the tip of the throttle shaft threads you'll see a line to reference too.
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:04 am

What spring did you go with. I know the 3800 and 4200 springs are longer. The 3200 spring is the same length as stock. How much did they turn it up do you know? Just a fyi the shift isn't held in by anything else so just pay attention to when you push the lever back on you don't push the shift down.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Hi ellis and DF-
I used a 3200 gov. spring from a place in Utau called toxic diesel. (appears to be a bosch spring- the only 3200 toxic carries) The local place that put the spring in said it was the best spring they had ever used. They said they would turn it up about 20%- just to improve driveability. strange- the motor seems WAY smoother at idle than it was before. earlier they also put me on new stock injector tips.
The shaft being liable to disappear in if pushed in- that's exactly the kind of thing I worry about- not knowing what I don't know-
I havnt decided I will do it or let my local place do it later. I will ask them first perhaps if I should do it or let them. Don't want to disrupt
any of their adjustmants.

Thanks Ellis- I can see something in the center of the nut- but they put a big dollop of yellow torque seal in there and it is hard to tell what I am looking at.......
are the two opposing coil springs on the levers any problem to get back on ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 am

You can do it. No need to pay someone. When I get home tonight I'll pull mine apart with pictures.
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Fri May 01, 2015 5:23 am

Zach you may explain it better than I,so if I miss something.....jump in on this please

Ok,remove this
No voodoo there. It's just a lever,spring and nut. No big deal,nothing will move or drop while removing it. I pull up on the lever as I'm unscrewing the nut just to make double sure I don't push the throttle shaft down.
You'll see this. (Sorry for the fuzzy pic,light conditions in the shop were poor this morning)
There is a shinny mark on that scale on the lever.....that's the factory index on this pump. I drug a scribe over it when I disassembled this pump top. As it sets now,in relation to the line on the throttle shaft,your idle screw would have to be farther out to make the engine idle. If you go the other way then you'd need less screw length.
This is the throttle shaft.
How I do it is to pull up on the spring loaded lever and hold it steady in my hand....then turn the shaft with the other hand. When I try to spline the throttle lever back on,I pull up on the shaft,and rotate,wiggle and curse the lever back in place. :)
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Fri May 01, 2015 4:26 pm

Yup....nothing to it. I forgot my Allen sockets lol so if you're good with how Ellis explained it I won't worry about it.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Fri May 01, 2015 10:56 pm

WOW- You guys are the best !
I may not get to it for another week- I am now ready to install the thing into the engine bay of the 350. Not sure yet if my hoist will
go high enough ! (!!!!!) I will be finding out. I will take the front wheels off if I have to ! I will probably take the tank off and clean it internally before I hook up the fuel system to the tank. (don't need a load of dirt and water......) I think I am going to remove the transmission cooling lines (ZF-6) and wash them out in case of mud dobbers- as they are kind of trapped underneath of the
engine mounts when motor is in. may not be easy to get them out for cleaning later.

Thanks for the pics- I thought I could do it- just didn't want it to be one of those things where you unscrew a screw and you hear
hear springs blowing up inside the case...... :-)

Thanks again for your help ! Will try to take some pics of it going in !

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DodgeFreak » Sat May 02, 2015 5:10 am

jethro wrote:
Thanks for the pics- I thought I could do it- just didn't want it to be one of those things where you unscrew a screw and you hear
hear springs blowing up inside the case...... :-)
Tim

Thats the most fun though :lol: My Oh Sh** meeter goes sky high when that happens. lol
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Return to Engine