engine plug-in first attempt- fail

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

engine plug-in first attempt- fail

Postby jethro » Mon May 04, 2015 11:15 pm

Tried a first attempt to install engine. No go-
Have the tranny cross member in the rear set of holes-
jacked bell housing up until it touched the "roof" of the engine compartment-
brought engine in at slight downward angle- came back till clutch hit bell housing-at the same point oil pan was not yet
dropped over main cross member- at that instant the clutch was still about 2 inches above the input shaft (but roughly parallel)
So- clearly that geometry isn't going to work.
If this scenario is going to allow coupling - it would seen that the bell housing has to come forward - which will allow the upper edge of the bell housing to come up higher making a more inclined angle of the tranny. I think this also means that I have to tale the tranny cross member out and let the rear of the trans go lower and come forward.

It didn't help that the brand new transmission jack that I had never used - would NOT hold up the trans or even its own weight!
:evil:

will try again tomorrow If my patience lasts long enough ........ :scratch:

Destroked claimed it would all line up magically- could be the rear hole position of the trans cross member could have made
the difference (?)

There appears to be nothing blocking the trans from going down and back as much as needed. That is my last resort
plan if all else fails...... put the trans on the engine after the engine is in.......... anyone tried that one ?

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: engine plug-in first attempt- fail

Postby matthewh » Tue May 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Can you unbolt, or loosen the cab mounts and block them up to give you a couple more inches to play with?
Seems you have to pull the cab to do work on a powerstroke anyways :lol:
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue May 05, 2015 2:50 pm

In factory form.....7.3 and 6/5speed,you pull the trans before motor and install trans after the engine. You can get by with the autos tho. I have no idea about the cummins swap tho.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Tue May 05, 2015 11:41 pm

Matt: I guess that would be possible- Ive heard of that happening at he dealerships- but Ive never done it- so the mystery of doing it
relegates that to going into my last resort bin.

Ellis: That would seen an easier thing to maneuver the trans than the engine. however- because of the shape of the bell housing -
as I go rearward the bell has to come down a bit to follow the shape of the floor. Maybe down a bit- back a bit and tip up a bit.....
I think without the frame mounting pads on the motor mounts- that should let the motor go down about 3-4 inches lower than its final position. That might let the trans come in from behind without hitting anything else. I will find out in a day or two.
Im taking off the shifter levers now to let the thing move freely.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine