Modify PS tank ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Modify PS tank ?

Postby jethro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:36 pm

I got my new power steering to hydroboost hose today.
Now ready to figure out how to plumb the rest.
I have seen some of the folks who do bronkos use a 2 return PS pump so they can avoid using a T in the 2 return lines.
It would appear that another option would be to take the tank off the pump and weld or silver solder a 2-nd return fitting into the tank. (might be hard to find a steel nipple to weld in-)

The dodge pump tank has only 1 return line and it is pretty small (1/4 ID maybe? )

Will a simple T fitting just before the 1/4 inch fitting on the tank make a bottleneck in the flow- where the flow may not break even and the tank level might drop..........

Which way to go ------

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Modify PS tank ?

Postby Gots_a_sol » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:05 pm

I did the tee'd return lines for a while on my dodge after converting it to hydrboost without issue. I eventually replaced the pump with one for a newer dodge with oem hydroboost as it makes for cleaner install.
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Modify PS tank ?

Postby jethro » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:11 pm

I decided to pull the pump- take it apart and add a brass nipple. Silver soldered it into the case about 1/2 inch from the other return line.

Read in some other 4x4 forums that at idle when turning- especially with big tires- the thing can bog down from the
return lines T'd together.

tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine