what sensors on 1-st gen engine ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

what sensors on 1-st gen engine ?

Postby jethro » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Got the ford -cummins installation going along pretty well......
Hooking up fuel - water and air-
Running soon......
I am wondering- what sensors does the 1-st gen (93) motor have that need to be hooked up which feed-back
into the engine ? ANY ?????? do any feed back ??????
I will want to hook up things like water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, boost, egt, maybe (?) air inlet temp-------
What did the first gen do with the boost pressure and the air inlet temp ??????? (or a mass flow if it ever had one....)

Will I need something to bump up the idle when I get the air conditioning hooked up ? - how did the dodge chassis do that ?

Thanks-
tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: what sensors on 1-st gen engine ?

Postby cougar » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:04 pm

CPS is used to switch on the auto shut down relay which controls the voltage regulator among other things.
TPS is only for telling the auto trans what to do with OD. On some it has an effect on cruise control, like mine.
IAT tells the grid heaters and KSB to switch on.
Coolant temp switch disables OD until the engine warms up.
Transmission temp switch disables OD if the fluid gets too hot.
It's pretty basic. Nothing feeds back really.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:28 pm

great- thats what i was hoping would be the basic situation.
There is a device on the side of the injection pump- looks like a spool shape and has a small metal line going into it.
Is this some kind of fuel valve connected to the intake manifold pressure as a safety ? - don't know what that device is or
what it does ....... I believe the electric fuel shutoff is around the corner on the rear.

I notice that the throttle linkage goes through a sheet metal box mounted behind the injection pump.
Did the dodge have an electric solenoid which the air conditioning clutch went through - so that when the
cuutch was energised the selenoid opens the throttle a couple hundrd rpm ?????? That box would seem to be
a natural place to mount it----
I believe the older fords did something like that .........
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:59 pm

Tim, that thing on the pump is the cold start advance. There is a sender on the manifold that turns that on when it's cold. What it does is advances the timing 7 degrees until the sensor shuts the power off.
Dodge you set the low idle with the Air on and in drive, or neutral for a stick truck. There is no provision for upping the idle when the air comes on. The metal box is a mount for the bellcrank set up and it holds the cables, throttle, cruise, and TV cable for the trans.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks Pete-
I noticed that the motor is a little "lopey" about the first 2 min. when its cold.
There were 2 sensors on the top of the intake - but those were appearing to be electric in output.
Is the advance driven pneumatically through the little tube which runs into the manifold's edge ? No wires needed ?
Will I need the two sensors on the top of the intake.. ? (one looks like a thermometer- the other possibly a hot wire
mass-flow sensor(?) )

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:54 pm

The KSB is electric, 1 of those sensors runs the KSB and the other runs the grids. If you have the harness you can follow the dark blue wire, it goes from the shut off solenoid to the sensor, then down to the KSB. The solenoid is electric. I know the wire plugs into the end towards the back, there should be a spade connector there. Fuel pressure runs thru the tube, I'm not sure exactly how that part if it works. You will need 1 of the sensors, I'm not sure which.
No mass air flow sensor on these gems, you're giving the computer too much credit! :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Thanks Pete-
The harness is basically there- I believe there was a plug for both sensors up top.
I will try just re-conditioning the coverings on them and putting them back. (and see what happens)

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:32 pm

Good luck man! :grin:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine