Powerstroke Intercooler with Boost Tubz?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Powerstroke Intercooler with Boost Tubz?

Postby rollcoal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 am

has anyone do a conversion using Tim's tubes? I keep reading about people using his tubes on Powerstroke conversions wondered if anyone else had anything to say on it, in a 1st gen only site.
rollcoal
smoke screw?

Re: Powerstroke Intercooler with Boost Tubz?

Postby BILTIT » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:15 am

I used his tubes with my PS IC, I had to subtract an inch on the drivers side and add an inch on the pass side. Not many people have had these issues though.

Unfortunately tims tubz are no longer available.
Derek B.
2003 QuadCab, Tater 62/65 341cw, Smarty Touch SW9, Full Billet trans.
91.5 W250, coolertubz, HE351CW, PS IC, Alcans, GVOD, Valair DD, bags, crossover.
1974 Pontiac Ventura,best of 11.97 at 112 so far.
Aluminum heads and roller cam on the way.
BILTIT
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:19 pm

I found some 3 inch 6061 by 1/16 aluminum tube at the surplus store. I am going to try to make mine.
For the 90 degree bend from the intake I will try doing a polygon cut and weld approach instead of just a simple abrupt 90.
Not sure if the end need to be beaded where the hoses slip over.......

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby swank » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:24 am

jethro wrote:I found some 3 inch 6061 by 1/16 aluminum tube at the surplus store. I am going to try to make mine.
For the 90 degree bend from the intake I will try doing a polygon cut and weld approach instead of just a simple abrupt 90.
Not sure if the end need to be beaded where the hoses slip over.......

Tim

I have a pie cut calculator excel sheet if you'd like? I recommend not going over 7* on your cuts (gets pretty angly if you do). The beaded end is going to be needed if you are anything over stock boost levels, and might even be needed AT stock boost levels. A weld bead works pretty good though, if you don't have access to a bead roller. Even just a few welded dots can work.
truck
swank
Administrator

Postby jethro » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

I havnt figured exactly how many cuts to use for 90*- but was thinking of using 4 segments and a little larger radius since I happen to have some room there to make a bigger bend. All the other bends are fairly shallow offsets. Maybe there is somebody in town that has a tube beader. I think I remember reading that some people have to use some RTV on the hoses
between the hose and barb to prevent it from working its way off under pressure.

tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby swank » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:21 am

Do you have excel? You can see what it'll look like before cutting anything if you do. If you don't, if you tell me the actual radius you want to make the thing I can punch the numbers in and post the results if you'd like. It will tell you what length to cut the pieces and what angle.

I would definitely recommend NOT using rtv. That will make just make a mess over time. Do you have a tig welder for this job? A couple little weld dots will probably work pretty good to hold stuff in place.
truck
swank
Administrator

Return to Engine