time to build an exhaust -

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

time to build an exhaust -

Postby jethro » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:02 pm

I currently have a short pipe coming out of the turbo- its about 10 inches long- time to build some kind of
exhaust system for it. (Fummins-)

I am thinking of a small glass pack after the turbo and a large volume straight-through muffler further back (maybe mid-way)
I think I want the muffler to be very low back pressure-
The pipes will probably be 3 inch stainless- could go to 4inch past the downpipe if I wanted- not sure it would be worth the effort-

Muffler can be aluminized steel - doesn't have to be ss-
What kind of muffler fits the bill- large volume- and straight through for little back pressure- ( Im going for MAX MPG here)

I have been driving the thing around the yard- even with the big slow stock turbo- it seems to have PLENTY of power to go when I mash the pedal ! ( I am now removing most of the 12 inch lift kit it had on it- rear done- getting new front springs
this week) Have also just finished doing a complete overhaul of the rear axle including a Detroit diff with the helical gears.

I will probably run the exhaust pipe all the way to the rear bumper.

Any muffler suggestions ?
Thanks, Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: time to build an exhaust -

Postby jethro » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:33 pm

Sorry - I forgot I asked this some time ago- (thank you bc847 for a very in-depth description-)
Didn't mean to be redundant- Ignore if needed ! :mrgreen:
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: time to build an exhaust -

Postby Gots_a_sol » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:55 pm

I just bought the Diamond Eye 4" kit with muffler for the diesel version of my Excursion and made a down pipe to fit with it. Their muffler is straight through. I believe it is all aluminized steel.
-Joe

00 Excursion - 12v/nv4500, he351cw, 5x12s, 366 spring, THD piston pump, 4" intake/exhaust
Gots_a_sol
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine