nv4500 swap

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

nv4500 swap

Postby manostihl » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:49 pm

Looking into swapping a p pump in my truck and a new turbo and im pretty sure the ol getrag isnt going to handle the upgrades i plan to throw at it plus I've never liked the gear spacing.. What all am I going to need to swap my 4wd Getrag out for a 4wd nv4500. Flywheel the same? What about the t case?
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Re: nv4500 swap

Postby CumminsPower59 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:04 am

The Getrag will handle just about anything you can throw at it...and the gear spacing is pretty much the same except overdrive, 0.77/Getrag, 0.75/NV

As for the NV swap, you can go two routes. Use all second gen parts or get the Advance Adapters kit. I used all second gen parts, as in block plate, bell housing, starter. Your pedals, hydros and transfer case will work with the NV but you'll have to do a few things. The output seal in the NV rear housing needs to be pulled out for clearance, the transfer case coupler will occupy it's space. The transfer case has a good input seal so you won't have to worry about the two different fluids mixing. I made my own transfer case shifter bracket, as you'll need to either buy the AA style, or make your own. You'll need some sort of transmission mount, again, made my own out of 3"x3" 1/4 wall square tube, about 8" long. I used a new clutch and flywheel, so I am not sure on that part...
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby manostihl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:46 am

CumminsPower59 wrote:The Getrag will handle just about anything you can throw at it...and the gear spacing is pretty much the same except overdrive, 0.77/Getrag, 0.75/NV

As for the NV swap, you can go two routes. Use all second gen parts or get the Advance Adapters kit. I used all second gen parts, as in block plate, bell housing, starter. Your pedals, hydros and transfer case will work with the NV but you'll have to do a few things. The output seal in the NV rear housing needs to be pulled out for clearance, the transfer case coupler will occupy it's space. The transfer case has a good input seal so you won't have to worry about the two different fluids mixing. I made my own transfer case shifter bracket, as you'll need to either buy the AA style, or make your own. You'll need some sort of transmission mount, again, made my own out of 3"x3" 1/4 wall square tube, about 8" long. I used a new clutch and flywheel, so I am not sure on that part...

Really? I've heard nothing but bad about the getrag. Mine sure did growl loud whrn you get on it in 3rd and fourth with my nearly stock minus pump tuning and injectors non intercooled 12v.
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:33 pm

Sounds like your Getrag is due for an overhaul then. The saying is "If it's making noise fix it before it gets expensive!".
I'm running over 400hp and about 850lb of torque thru mine on an almost daily basis in the summer months. It drives to Iowa every spring and usually Indiana in the fall. Last fall it went the other side of St Louis since the meet changed locations. It rattles when it sits in neutral, but it has done that for 3-4 years with no ill effects yet.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby manostihl » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:17 pm

PToombs wrote:Sounds like your Getrag is due for an overhaul then. The saying is "If it's making noise fix it before it gets expensive!".
I'm running over 400hp and about 850lb of torque thru mine on an almost daily basis in the summer months. It drives to Iowa every spring and usually Indiana in the fall. Last fall it went the other side of St Louis since the meet changed locations. It rattles when it sits in neutral, but it has done that for 3-4 years with no ill effects yet.

Well mine was rebuilt before I got it or at least supposed to be :/ it does have a tag on it from a shop it only growls when you romp on it hard
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:43 pm

manostihl wrote:
PToombs wrote:Sounds like your Getrag is due for an overhaul then. The saying is "If it's making noise fix it before it gets expensive!".

Well mine was rebuilt before I got it or at least supposed to be :/ it does have a tag on it from a shop it only growls when you romp on it hard

They might have put a tag on it. That doesn't mean they knew what they were doing. If it is making noise it needs a rebuild.

Swapping from a getrag to a NV4500 is a side step not an improvement. Both trans has problems. A quality rebuild on your getrag would be cheaper than another trans you might need to rebuild after install.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby thrashingcows » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:10 am

Philip wrote:
manostihl wrote:

They might have put a tag on it. That doesn't mean they knew what they were doing. If it is making noise it needs a rebuild.

Swapping from a getrag to a NV4500 is a side step not an improvement. Both trans has problems. A quality rebuild on your getrag would be cheaper than another trans you might need to rebuild after install.

Ain't that the truth....that is why I like to do as much of my own work as possible. I can screw things up myself...don't need to pay someone to do it for me. ;)

My guess is whoever "rebuilt" the trans either used cheap bearings, or did not set-up the end play properly. If you don't set the end play right...getrag or NV...they will not last long....maybe 25K miles or so?
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby manostihl » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:00 pm

Philip wrote:
manostihl wrote:

its made the growl ever since I got it. I haven't been easy on it really and I've even towed with it. It hasn't blown yet lol. I always do my own work piss on paying anyone else unless its machine work
manostihl
fuel screw!!!!

Postby spencerdiesel » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Mines always clang-a-langed the 3 years I've had it, and it was 1 owner with 145k.

It only had 3 qts in it when I changed the oil, so I'm sure it'd never been overfilled. Has a 5th wheel so I bet it saw some weight...... :|
1992 W250, 5 speed, 4.10, Ext. cab Ext. bed, 12.5k winch, 75 gal. fuel tank

H1C/18

Fuel: THD 6x10 VCO sticks, THD 12 psi piston pump, THD fuel pin, 366 spring, fuel screw 2 turns in, timing to the head/ >1/4”
Muffler delete

Minimum 60% WMO full time since Sep. 2018
spencerdiesel
14mm rotor

Return to Engine