have i been cheated ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

have i been cheated ?

Postby jethro » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:59 pm

I have been reading about the (good) sounds of straight piped 12 valves......
I just finished making my stainless down-pipe with a stainless woven anti-strain gizmo where it goes horizontal-
then a bout 3 feet of pipe- then a 8 inch dia. - 30 inch long straight-through muffler (with the cheese grater center)
and then about 6 more feet of ss pipe to the rear bumper. Got the pipes and muffler test fit hanging from safety wire.
started her up - drove it around the yard gently. First time with other than a 12 inch stub off the turbo-----
OK- I cant believe how quiet it is all of a sudden..... back at the tail pipe it is as quiet as my gas Tahoe----
The muffler and pipes seemed to have quieted the turbo too- no more whine.....
Now the loudest part of the motor is the IP ( I think-) and the piston fuel pump.....
I let it idle about 15 min and warm up and it got even smoother.... just a little minor vibrations
transmitting up through the body but otherwise amazingly smooth and quiet.
Is the lack of "roar" out the tailpipe an artifact of not having the fuel turned up much and stock injectors ?

I have not tried it on the road yet--- should be getting a tag and new tires this coming week-

Did I somehow mess up and get it too quiet ? :o
tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: have i been cheated ?

Postby justin.loehlein » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:59 am

Not sure you can consider your system straight-piped since you have a muffler? Did you weld the muffler in or just clamp it? If you want it louder and the muffler is just clamped in, replace it with a section of pipe.

Also - what diameter pipe did you use? Seems like that could make a difference.
1990 D250, 5 speed
1993 W350 waiting to be restored
justin.loehlein
fuel screw!!!!

Postby spencerdiesel » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:18 am

Believe it or not (most) straight through mufflers do quite a bit of muffling.

And it will be much louder with the passenger window down, more fuel and WOT. Not much load at partial throttle
1992 W250, 5 speed, 4.10, Ext. cab Ext. bed, 12.5k winch, 75 gal. fuel tank

H1C/18

Fuel: THD 6x10 VCO sticks, THD 12 psi piston pump, THD fuel pin, 366 spring, fuel screw 2 turns in, timing to the head/ >1/4”
Muffler delete

Minimum 60% WMO full time since Sep. 2018
spencerdiesel
14mm rotor

Postby thrashingcows » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:56 am

I have a stock 3" system on my crewcab...old and crusty, but still sound. I was running straight pipe for a coupe years, but got tired of the noise and drone...fun for a while. I ended up being given a 4" flow through muffler and I couldn't believe how much it quieted it down. But it still has a nice deep sound to the exhaust...I really like it.
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:41 pm

It is 3 inch piping all the way back. It goes straight back to the bumper. I have it welded solid from the turbo connection
-down and back to the woven flexible thingamabob- then just slipped together for now till I get all the clamps\anchored into the frame.
I guess since the engine is governored- the resistance (load) controls the fuel flow- so with it lightly loaded
(like it will be 95% of the time) -- that would tend to keep fuel flow (and exhaust noise) down----- is that kind of how it works ? (my tractor seems to work like that- doesn't make much racket till I try to pull an immovable object-)

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jethro » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:41 pm

It is 3 inch piping all the way back. It goes straight back to the bumper. I have it welded solid from the turbo connection
-down and back to the woven flexible thingamabob- then just slipped together for now till I get all the clamps\anchored into the frame.
I guess since the engine is governored- the resistance (load) controls the fuel flow- so with it lightly loaded
(like it will be 95% of the time) -- that would tend to keep fuel flow (and exhaust noise) down----- is that kind of how it works ? (my tractor seems to work like that- doesn't make much racket till I try to pull an immovable object-)

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby spencerdiesel » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Basically. If you can ever apply 100% load you'll hear her
1992 W250, 5 speed, 4.10, Ext. cab Ext. bed, 12.5k winch, 75 gal. fuel tank

H1C/18

Fuel: THD 6x10 VCO sticks, THD 12 psi piston pump, THD fuel pin, 366 spring, fuel screw 2 turns in, timing to the head/ >1/4”
Muffler delete

Minimum 60% WMO full time since Sep. 2018
spencerdiesel
14mm rotor

Postby jdiesel_us » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:10 pm

Yes having run both a flow through muffler and no muffler you would be surprised how much the muffler changes the sound. I actually turned my muffler around so the openings faced the back of the truck and liked that the best. It helped with the resonance these engines produce.
jdiesel_us
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine