Exhaust manifold gasket leak

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Exhaust manifold gasket leak

Postby mrc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:22 pm

I have a small exhaust leak coming out of the manifold gasket on the number 6 cylinder. I've read that it is difficult to line the manifold back due to shrinking. Does anyone have advice on that? Replace the whole manifold or just gaskets and bolts? Use studs instead of bolts? What are my options?
92 W350 flatbed with duels, club cab, stock engine, automatic (for now), 4" exhaust, air bags
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Exhaust manifold gasket leak

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:29 pm

Look at the port for #1 cylinder, does the bolt look straight? Or does it look like it's leaning to the rear? If it looks bent at all the manifold has shrunk some. If the truck is turned up and has been run near 1200* much there is a good chance the manifold has shrunk and you won't get the bolts back in. Geno's Garage has new replacement stock manifolds, or you can get an after market one that flows more. That part is up to you. The bolts may not come out too easy, I soaked mine everyday for over a week with penetrant before I pulled my manifold, and I had to heat 3 to get them out, 1 on #5 and both on 6. You can use new bolts, studs, or whatever you want. I used stainless bolts and lots of Neverseize.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:26 pm

I prefer studs to bolts. They make it so much easier to mount the manifold (though the lower water line presents a very slight issue at least when using a steed speed manifold.
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby mrc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 am

Update: Bolts came off no problem with about 24 hours of soaking in PB. Replaced gaskets and bolts with parts from cummins, put on a bunch of anti cease and torque to 32 #, so far so good. Seems like the turbo response is better. Now time for a valve adjustment next week.
92 W350 flatbed with duels, club cab, stock engine, automatic (for now), 4" exhaust, air bags
mrc
fuel screw!!!!

Postby jdiesel_us » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:54 pm

I am getting ready to fix mine hope I am as lucky with the old bolts. I have studs to replace them with.
jdiesel_us
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine