how about New retro trucks for retro minded people ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

how about New retro trucks for retro minded people ?

Postby jethro » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:40 pm

How many of us would buy a New made truck- body of a 1945 1 ton pickup (maybe 4x4)
make the body out of THICK steel - epoxy-chromate the raw steel before paint--- frame as well.
Use a 4BT engine with a good turbo and big intercooler. Allison auto trans or a heavy 6 speed manual-
maybe with 2 ranges ( :alien: )
No power anything (windows, steering, ect) - Maybe hydro brake boost oK-
Maybe a power take off rigged so it could be powered while truck is in neutral. small winch standard.
Brush guard like a old power wagon.
All lights LED (only good modern thing I can think of)
Air conditioning (optional)
have front axles fully rebuildable
Maybe have fenders and inner fenders and hood be quick detachable for engine maintenance.
Might be the ideal farm truck for farmers who don't want to have to take a truck to the stealership for anything.(ever)
(goes without saying- NO COMPUTERS ANYWHERE-)

In short---- a truck which you could buy and be able to pass down to your grand children.

My dream truck----
How come no company has the balls to build this ?????? Im sure they would tell you that there would be no market for it.....

There is a company here in Orlando that makes NEW 66 ford mustangs - so it could be done-----

Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me ?????

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: how about New retro trucks for retro minded people ?

Postby thrashingcows » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:48 pm

Think it's simple economics.....there really isn't a big enough demand for those types of "one off" vehicles to justify the expense required for engineering and tooling. I bet a company that built these "retro trucks" would want upwards of $150K or more! It'd be cheaper for you to find an old vehicle and have it built to your dream specs....IMO. ;)
1984/93 Dodge Crewcab, W350, 1 Ton SRW, long box, 330K Km's, M&H spacer, 366 spring, fuel pin to deep side, 14cm housing, Piston LP, PS IC, Isspro Boost, Pyro and tach, NV4500, 29 spline NP205, 3.54's.

Check out the build....http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... 05923.html
thrashingcows
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:32 am

There is a company already doing very close to that in Montana I think. They take the old Dodge power wagon and restore them and I've seen video of one that they put a 4bt in it. And yes, it costs a couple hundred grand.

http://www.legacyclassictruck.com/
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:51 am

Anything in the 40's the cabs are small. I have driven all the big three trucks in those years. Two medium to large people and its full. Also no Xcabs I am done with single cabs.

The concept is good but there is not enough demand.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Plus if it's a "new" truck, it will have to meet emissions, so there is a few computers added right there.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby meby » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:05 pm

FWIW...I wouldn't buy such a truck even if it were possible for it to exist just like you stated. I started looking a lot of purchases through the eyes of how many cows would I have to raise and sell to pay for and it squashes the idea of a $50 or $100 thousand dollar truck really quick. :!:
-1991 D-250 bone stock
-2000 Ford Windstar TDI Diesel 5 spd
-1997 Civic Hatchback
-Case 530 CK
-Old Huskee Garden Tractor w/Cub Cadet deck, Simplicity Snow-blower, loaded tires & chains - is it weird the tractor is modded more than my truck?
-Speedex Walking Tractor.
-BCS Walking Tractor

www.ebyfarmsllc.com
meby
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:49 pm

Yes- yes- I know------
On a certain level it greatly saddens me to consider that America used to make simple trucks during the late 40's that were no
more complicated than a garden tractor- and that same truck today --- we cant afford it. And in stead -- we have
cheaply made trucks that are so complicated (and so poorly designed and tested) that even the dealership mechanics cant fix them. some are so bad they can only be thrown away...... Just sad for America !

Legacy is making a nice product- but having to restore a 75 year old body and chassis is NOT cost effective and never will be.
No wonder they cost so much. Even counting THAT - they are still overpriced. (sorry)

I think you would have to have the old dies for the body panels and such to make it feasible. I guess dodge probably
destroyed them at some point.

Meby- I couldn't agree more- that is exactly why I built my truck from (basicly) parts...... and 2-ndly- to get it like I wanted.
Probably more a comment on our destroyed economy as much as anything. soon we will be running our city busses on smoldering charcoal like china......
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby liftarc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:17 pm

I'll take a 49 pilothouse stepside with a Mercedes OM606 and a 6 speed.... would cost more than the luxury barge that donated the engine.....
92 D350 club cab flatbed dually-201k G360, NP205,D60 swap soon
92 Ramcharger 5.9 Magnum, 46rh, NP241-238k
liftarc
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine