Heat exchanger plumbing

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Heat exchanger plumbing

Postby Deathrod » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:04 pm

Over the years I've had tranny heat problems so long story short I want to put the factory heat exchanger back in service. I still have it and the hard lines, the fittings are long gone. I need someone to explain how the coolant lines are ran or to snap a few pics. I think the return line is at the back of the water pump inlet, but i think the heater core line ran there too? Obviously the heater lines are gone as well. I think the feed line is right behind the alternator? If anyone knows what size fittings i need that would help as well. Google hasn't helped, i need some 1stgenners
1930 Model A, 91 non i/c, he351ve over ht3b, bagged all around, mostly built 47rh, 72 lpm sticks, 600hp/1400 ft lbs (cummins math), just needs traction
Deathrod
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Heat exchanger plumbing

Postby BC847 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:00 pm

Trans fluid:

From transmission ----> Temp sensor fitting ----> Fluid-to-fluid heat exchanger ----> H-pipe bypass (just before radiator support) ----> Fluid-to-air cooler above radiator ----> Back to H-pipe bypass ----> (optional fan assisted auxiliary cooler) ----> Transmission.

Engine coolant:

FROM cab heat hot supply (before cab heat valve) ----> Fluid-to-fluid heat exchanger ----> TO fitting next to radiator return hose.

IIRC, the fluids would flow opposite one another (counter-flow), but don't quote me right now.
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Re: Heat exchanger plumbing

Postby Deathrod » Wed May 04, 2016 3:14 am

Well i found this pic online that showed how they run Image
Then got a 1/2 npt to 5/8 barbed fitting for the front inlet Image
Then got a 3/4" npt for the lower with another barbed fitting Image
I have all the coolant lines plumbed now, just have to tap into trans line loop, just ran out of time today.
1930 Model A, 91 non i/c, he351ve over ht3b, bagged all around, mostly built 47rh, 72 lpm sticks, 600hp/1400 ft lbs (cummins math), just needs traction
Deathrod
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine