general IP/gov question....

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

general IP/gov question....

Postby jethro » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi all-
I am now just getting to test drive and road-test/debug the fummins.
Doing better now that the drive shaft flange bolts are REALLY in-- blue locktited and lock washered now. :-)
First thing Ive noticed is that Im doing the slolum trying to stay in the middle of my lane. There may be a redhead steering box
in my future...... (not REALLY bad .. but extremely annoying... prob 2 inches slack in the wheel)

On to my engine question------
Motor is 93 Turbo-intercooled type- stock injectors (new tips) - overhauled IP. (2-nd gen piston fuel pump) They said they turned my fuel up about
20% - so as to give reasonable power but maybe keep mpg good. Thats the theory anyway-----

So Im feeling out its road manners- seeing how it shifts-- how it accelerates...

I am running the stock H1C which was on the motor. Dont have the tack running yet-- but I can feel that the motor
really "comes alive" at a certain RPM which I am guessing is when the turbo pressure starts doing its thing. Seems like
I dont have a lot of pulling power at low-ish RPMS at say 50 mph. Definately better if I keep the rpm (boost?)up a little.

I am also still tinkering with my throttle cable- not sure if I have full throw yet..( at IP). and I have some slack on the low end in to eliminate.

My question is simple----- what symptoms will I look for that would indicate that the fuel might need to be turned up more---
Will I get to a point that I have more "pedal" but it yields no increase in engine power ? Like I am all most at the fuel limit?
( I am guessing that the turbo is messing with that perception a bit - if I try to accelerate in too high a gear and too low a RPM)
My first turbo diesel--- still on the learning curve---
Thanks in advance -
Tim

the cable too ---
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: general IP/gov question....

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:37 pm

I know on my crew it will lag for a second or two before it really comes alive. Around 10-15psi is when you can hear the turbo and feel the power come on. even empty at 55 and you step into it, it takes a little bit before the power comes on. and if you have a stock h1c. depending if it was auto truck or manual truck you have either a 21 or 18 cm housing. If it is an auto truck with a 21 cm housing it will lag really bad. swap turbo to an hx35 with a 12cm housing or swap the exhaust housing on the h1c with an hx35 12,16,or 18 cm housing and you should notice a lot better throttle response. Do you have egt gauge yet?? if not I'd get some before tinkering with the pump.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:43 pm

Get a 12cm wastegated exhaust housing and put it on. It will make the truck come right alive.
As for the steering, check the column. On the dodges there is a coupler box just before the steering gearbox that wears out. Not sure what the ford has.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:08 pm

Thanks Freak and PT----
I was kind of expecting a fairly slow/mild turbo performance. i am going to put an egr and boost gauge on it soon. Will
probably run it with the H1C for a while.... till I get the other problems ironed out.

have to get a buddy to stop by and wiggle the wheel (with front axle jacked up) so i can start from the wheels and work my way up to the farewall and see where the "disconnect" is in the steering. i dont remember a flexible coupling- but i think there is a
universal joint type under the dash (I think) (maybe for the tilting wheel-) - but i will look for that in the engine bay too.
i have heard nothing but negative on ford steering gearboxes and nothing but Great on the redhead version.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:07 am

If everything on the column feels and appears tight, check the output shaft on the steering gear. Several of out F350-550's at work have play at the output shaft. Couldn't find it with the truck jacked up...it'll have to be on the ground so there is resistance for it to push against. Have someone move the steering wheel side to side, taking up the slack...you'll find the loose spot sure enough.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Thanks CP59-----

Tonight i jacked it up and checked it---- There is a flexible coupling just above the gear box-- but it appeared OK
i could (from under the hood) grab the steering shaft and turn it back and forth- and see that the input shaft was
moving with it -and the wheels and linkages were not. Tightened the slack adjustment on the gearbox- about 4 or 5 turns
before the slack started getting close to nill. somewhere about that point I could start to feel a little trnsion on the adjuster
screw- so i stopped there. I could still move the steering wheel a little but most of that was spring in the steering shaft and
maybe in the flexible rubber coupling. Will test drive tomorrow to see ho it drives. may have to loosen it about 1/8 turn maybe.... if I went justa dab too far.
still might do the red head box..... but if it feels way better I might do it later instead of now......

Tim

PS- how do you lube the gear box ? Dont see any grease fittings.....
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby CumminsPower59 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:09 am

Internally lubricated.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Must be lubed by the circulating fluid. i guess I am thinking of the old manual ones.....

I test drove it today - WAY too tight. Did it better and more carefully tonight.
Remover stabaliser--- so I could feel the tension when turning. backed it off 1/4 turn at a time untill i started to
see a little slack again ( had to start it up and exercise the system after each adjustment ) - then i tightened it
1/4 turn tighter. Feels much better now. will test on road again tomorrow for wandering.

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:49 pm

The usual problem is the shaft worm wears in only 1 spot on the sector, so it feels good straight, but when you turn it's in a non-worn spot and is too tight. Hope yours is better than that.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks PT----
It feels much better now - the extra slack is mastly gone. What i am left with though is a slightly
"springy" feel to the steering. I notice that the steering shaft is kind of skinny---- With the engine off-it feels
like the shaft is just flexing and maybe leading to a kind of "squishy" feeling when driving.
Is this an indication that the pump pressure (or maybe the flow voll?) isnt quite high enough ? Im using the
ps pump that was on the cummins......

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Got no ideas on that, I don't even know what ford uses for a PS pump. :oops:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Neither do I !
Could be quite a bit of friction inside the gear box- maybe the red head gear box might reduce the load on the input shaft (?)
maybe later I will upgrade !

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:10 pm

I reread your post, I wouldn't worry what it feels like engine off, you don't drive it like that! ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:34 am

Ya do if Ya need a tow.....but since it has a good heart now I doubt you'll need a tow lol
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Return to Engine