"wake-up" prelube for air cond. compressor ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

"wake-up" prelube for air cond. compressor ?

Postby jethro » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:18 pm

just starting to figure out the air conditioning plumbing.
I am thinking- this engine sat arround for several years before I got it-- dont know what it went through environmentaly
speaking....
i want to see if the compressor is free internaly. I am thinking I would like to get some oil up inside it - in case it has been
dry--- but I dont want a lot so i dont risk a hydro-lock. Is there an easy way to get some lube where it needs to be - up inside-- without taking it off motor ? (trying to avoid that---)

After it soaks a couple days i want to see if it is free...... i COULD just pulse the clutch and see if it turns--- if it is locked
up that could bother the (brand new) belt----- would it be safer to slack the tensioner (have some one hold it) and activate
the electric clutch and then try rotating the compressor pulley by hand ? -- see if it turns free ?

I am assuming that if it doesnt rotate-- then my only option is to buy a new or overhauled unit ........

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: "wake-up" prelube for air cond. compressor ?

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Grab the front of the clutch and turn it by hand with it disengaged it should rotate freely even on the truck. Other than that you could pull a line off and dump some in.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Return to Engine