oil vs. turbo ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

oil vs. turbo ?

Postby jethro » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Notice my oil just a dab low- just over safe line on stick. had it at top of safe about 2 weeks and 25 miles ago.
i HAVE noticed that when it sits overnight or half a day--- upon startup I get a brief cloud of smoke- lasts about 1 seccond.
i have been thinking that this could be oil in the turbo supply line that might be gravity-draining down into the exhaust and just laying there till the next start-up. Wondering if that is where the oil is going out gradually.
If it is-- does this mean that the little piston rings in the turbo core aernt quite sealing ????? I see NO smoke when running.
Only the big puff when i start up.
running like a sewing machine otherwise......
Any thoughts ?????

Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: oil vs. turbo ?

Postby spencerdiesel » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:42 pm

I'm pretty sure the VE goes to full fuel on startup. Since no boost is present, it will only fuel as much as your pre boost / smoke screw setting will allow (someone correct if I'm mislead on this).

Even when mine was rock-granpappy-stock it would emit a black belch on startup. The more I turn in my pre boost, the darker/heavier the startup cloud seems to get.

Every 1st gen I've seen smokes heartily on startup, cold or warm.
1992 W250, 5 speed, 4.10, Ext. cab Ext. bed, 12.5k winch, 75 gal. fuel tank

H1C/18

Fuel: THD 6x10 VCO sticks, THD 12 psi piston pump, THD fuel pin, 366 spring, fuel screw 2 turns in, timing to the head/ >1/4”
Muffler delete

Minimum 60% WMO full time since Sep. 2018
spencerdiesel
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:50 pm

Correct, First gens go to full fuel on start up. The Afc screw (fuel pin screw) would not make a difference where its at since its at full fuel anyways I've got mine backed out as far as it will go and it still blows a big dark cloud. The loss of oil could be valve cover gaskets leaking or tappet cover seeping or I've had the lift pump gasket seep also. Right now mines using more oil but I believe I'm loosing mine through the valve cover gaskets as its wet around it.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:08 pm

When it is oil in the exhaust system it makes white smoke that becomes very noticable shortly after startup.
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:08 pm

my engine is 93 and has the round pump----
the smoke is quit after about 1-2 secconds- does not taper off- I would think oil in exhaust would taper off slower- this is gone in like 1/2 sec or less. maybe lasts 1 sec.- then gone instantly. Must be fuel then..... (thats good)
I will get someone else to start her so i can be back behind to see if the smoke is black or white.......

So its normal for a fraction of a seccond at startup to get excess fuel. Thats fine.
Now that somebody mentioned it----- i had the valve covers off a couple weeks ago-
later I noticed some oil laying on the head---- got to looking with a mirror--- sure enough one of the
gaskets had slipped off before the cover quite got into place and the gasket was kind of pinched/ out of place.
It didnt cut it fortunately. i bet thats where my missing oil went to -------- it was about a week before I
started looking to see where the oil was comming from.

I notice I believe I have a very small (I hope) leak from where the little round flared-in steel tube come out of the rear
of the block for the dipstick attaches. i suspect that the plastic tube might be hard and not gripping the steel snout
like when it was new. I dont THINK there is much comming out...... can just see a little evidence of a seep- on an otherwise
oil-less engine. I wonder if dodge dealer has those new old stock ? have to make a phone call to find out.......

I will watch my oil levle more frequently for a while--- like every other day...... just in case.

Thanks
tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine