ford rant time !

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

ford rant time !

Postby jethro » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Ford engineers should burn in H -e double hockey sticks.........
Heater hoses have quick disconnects where they plug onto firewall.... (F-350)
Mine were dripping..... simple fix right ???? :bom:
went to stealership to order new O-Rings. waited 2 days----
pick up the O-rings---- they aint O-rings--- they are plastic spacers that go between the 2 O-rings.
couldn't find an exploded view good enough to see anything..... it DID have 2 silicone O-rings a 1 spacer.
talked to ford parts again today. Guess what------ :twisted:
Ford does not sell O-rings. they sell the plastic spacer between the 2 O-rings (which I bought) - but NOT O-rings.
They say I have to buy the whole hose...... they parts guy says "the o rings must not ever break or else they would
sell them" These are silicone O-rings--- which tear and cut more easily than neoprene and Viton. I ordered a box
of 25 for 6$ from MSC. Be here tomorrow----
To me this seems like a SCAM to run up the repair bill when you take your truck to ford to get repairs.
The mechanic pulls the QD off- o-ring cut = you pay for brand new hoses. You complain that the hoses were fine.....
Then they claim they had to replace them because they cant (wont) get an o-ring that costs me 20 cents.
I guess that's why I try to do everything I can.......
Ford didn't used to be crooks.......
Tim
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Re: ford rant time !

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Fords suck period. Dodges\rams aren't much better now a days. The new 2011 ford water separator is a plastic\composite spin on bowl (cartridge type filter) The "nut" that's on the bottom isn't solid its hex shape with webbing in between. Yeah they will crack and leak, and it will syphon from the tank because I thought no biggie I'll get a filter wrench after our break is over and I come back down and its still running fuel.

I could go on with more of Fords stupid designs but I'll stop there lol.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby DMan1198 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:56 pm

The 6.4 fords are equally as terrible for their frame mounted fuel filter. There are actually factory hardlines that are in the way of getting that thing out, and if there's any dirt in that area forget about keeping it clean. The ecoboost oil filter is also stupid, and I had to google it just to find the damn thing, and it's not very easy to reach if you're a short guy. They also seem to be very good at designing things to last to just outside warrenty before having crippling failures.
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:52 pm

DMan1198 wrote:The 6.4 fords are equally as terrible for their frame mounted fuel filter. There are actually factory hardlines that are in the way of getting that thing out, and if there's any dirt in that area forget about keeping it clean. The ecoboost oil filter is also stupid, and I had to google it just to find the damn thing, and it's not very easy to reach if you're a short guy. They also seem to be very good at designing things to last to just outside warrenty before having crippling failures.

I think that stupid frame mounted fuel filter is in more than just the 6.4s at least in the 550 series. I don't remember the year span but it was after the 7.3 (6.0s??) until they came out with their own 6.7. I think. it was a long time run with them. They have a couple year span where the air cleaner is a joy to get out also. its the drop down oval filter on the ds. They have a retrofit kit that turns it into an air box now I think. A couple of the fords got the retrofit. Also I noticed if you run a wix filter in the fords it has to much restriction and will pull the indicator down so you pretty much have to run Motorcraft filters. We've had some issues with Wix fuel filters also and have switched to MC filters.
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:39 am

Find you a bag of fairy farts and puppy slobber.....that'll cure the ford issues lol
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:49 am

DodgeFreak wrote:
DMan1198 wrote:The 6.4 fords are equally as terrible for their frame mounted fuel filter. There are actually factory hardlines that are in the way of getting that thing out, and if there's any dirt in that area forget about keeping it clean. The ecoboost oil filter is also stupid, and I had to google it just to find the damn thing, and it's not very easy to reach if you're a short guy. They also seem to be very good at designing things to last to just outside warrenty before having crippling failures.

I think that stupid frame mounted fuel filter is in more than just the 6.4s at least in the 550 series. I don't remember the year span but it was after the 7.3 (6.0s??) until they came out with their own 6.7. I think. it was a long time run with them. They have a couple year span where the air cleaner is a joy to get out also. its the drop down oval filter on the ds. They have a retrofit kit that turns it into an air box now I think. A couple of the fords got the retrofit. Also I noticed if you run a wix filter in the fords it has to much restriction and will pull the indicator down so you pretty much have to run Motorcraft filters. We've had some issues with Wix fuel filters also and have switched to MC filters.

6.0's got the frame mounted fuel filters...which are a joy to change filters on when its -5 out. The same vintage of trucks also have those ridiculous oval air filters. At the utility I work for, we run only Motorcraft filters on all of the PSD's, fuel and oil, because of so many filter variances and troubles. We won't be getting any new trucks any time soon, as unlike the other utilities, we are now a "run 'til failure" operation because of the way management works, as they'll get a bigger bonus for the less they spend on new equipment purchases.
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby Remps » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:22 pm

Ahh..remember the good old fords of yesteryear? One could smell the rotten egg exhaust and hear Chewbacca in the power steering pump 1/4 mile away. Actually..some fords still have Chewy pumps.
'90 D250 R/C,727,IC,6x.009's,1/8" bump,fuel psi,straight pipe w/5" stack.
'90 W250 R/C,47rh,K@N,HX35,1/8" bump,2nd gen IC,boost,egt,trans temp.3.07's.
'96 2500 S/C L/B,2wd,NV5600,3.54 L/S,cai,egt,pacbrake,mbrp exhaust,10 plate.
Bring back the Bank of Canada, PRE- 1974.
Remps
14mm rotor

Postby DodgeFreak » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:10 pm

CumminsPower59 wrote:
DodgeFreak wrote:

6.0's got the frame mounted fuel filters...which are a joy to change filters on when its -5 out. The same vintage of trucks also have those ridiculous oval air filters. At the utility I work for, we run only Motorcraft filters on all of the PSD's, fuel and oil, because of so many filter variances and troubles. We won't be getting any new trucks any time soon, as unlike the other utilities, we are now a "run 'til failure" operation because of the way management works, as they'll get a bigger bonus for the less they spend on new equipment purchases.

We was on a 10 year cycle, with mileage and hrs included. I'm not sure what we are now it just depends on cost of repairs. We haven't bought a new Ford since 2011 I believe. I just found out also from looking up information we are trying 1500 Ram pickups now in our fleet. I know our management has upped our fleet\vehicle spending by a few million dollars (not sure the exact quote)
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:31 pm

I posted a little mini-rant like this on the big F@rd Diesel forum---- one of the replies was that those O-rings are an "odd-ball" part
and the parts guys cant know everything and that's OK for them to wash their hands of you if the computer cant find the part......
This "attitude" is--- I believe a "trickle-down" problem....... Why does Ford tolerate their dropout engineers to fill the trucks with
parts which look like they were designed in red china and cause what has become known as a "6 liter" ------ also known as
"why ford has fallen from the best truck in the world- to pure she-ite."

It REALLY must be something to do with what ford THINKS about their American consumer customers.
NOTICE :::::
Trucks built on contract- like the UPS trucks -- exhibit NONE of the maintenance BS that they jam consumer truck full of.
Trucks sold in central and south America (F-250/350) are built with the 5.9 and Allison trans. No Sir- NOT HERE !

Really-- what kind of mental illness rules at ford when they think they can DO THIS and we will KEEP buying their defective
carelessly designed piles...... They have been banking on only their good name for about the last 40 years ---- and the 6 liter
was the last straw---- the final stab through the heart for the last few die hard hanger-oners who wanted to believe....... and were punished for their loyalty...... meanwhile ford lays off American workers to outsource production and raise profits for the few at
the top----- assuming the consumers are stupid and will just be forced to take whatever they decide we deserve.
Because they will decide what we need and what is good for us..... like the little chime in the dash that is buried so deep you would have
to melt the whole truck down (terminator last scene) to shut it down........
Building my "own" truck out of parts I guess is my own private "screw-you " to Detroit's current attitude......
And REALLY----- to WHOSE advantage is it ------- to install quick disconnects on the heater hoses ?????? (which are in fact ONLY
retained by tiny little plastic catches the size of tooth picks....)
If they were allowed to design airplanes like this ------ there would be no airplanes.....

So I went to ace hardware and tried 3/4 ID , 3/32 wall O-rings--- slathered them with silicone grease---- put them back inside the
quick disconnects - slid them on --- they seemed to be OK --- not leaking...... wish there was a way to safety wire the QD's onto the
snouts in case the little plastic catches fail..... but not much there to hook to...... (its ok, plastic never breaks---- look how tough all
those electrical connectors are when they have been hot under the hood for about 5 years...... we'll just sell them a whole new harness------ no wait ! we will discontinue the WHOLE harness and make them buy a WHOLE NEW TRUCK !!!! ( they really did this on the 6.0 liter) YESSSSSSS !!!!! A whole new truck because little plastic parts snap off the first time they are touched to separate them..... Genius---- we'll make MILLIONS ! RIGHT ?
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby DMan1198 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:55 pm

ellis93 wrote:Find you a bag of fairy farts and puppy slobber.....that'll cure the ford issues lol

I thought the best cure for Ford issues was to light them on fire, and walk away.
Ducati- professional nap taker, and thread derailer extraordinaire
Brownie: 80 dodge heavy half. Ghost cummins under the hood, and some sinister plans
The Roo Hunter: 93 w250, lifted, 2 whistle machines, and a bunch of other go fast goodies, uhh..... not there yet
Jaeger: 12 ram 3500. Lifted, exhausted, and fed an excessive quantity of air
The Huntress: 02 Jetta TDI. No muffler, egr, horsepower
DMan1198
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:38 pm

If you have a 6 liter under the hood--- no need to light it--- just keep driving it and wait !-- but you gotta be ready to bail out -----
Some of the chassis it OK still--- the cheap a@@ electrical connectors infuriate me---- and the electrical design generally is stupid....
and the front bearing "cartridges" are A@@inine--- what does that leave--- the frame and body ? :-)
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:53 pm

jethro wrote:Really-- what kind of mental illness rules at ford when they think they can DO THIS and we will KEEP buying their defective
carelessly designed piles...... ?

I think you missed it, they do keep buying them. I saw posted on a forum, and this is a pretty close but not exact quote, "This truck is a real POS! It's been in the dealers more than it's out! I got (my lawyer to get them) or (them to) lemon law my truck and take it back! I'm going down tomorrow to get a new one. (exact same truck)"

Really? What is the mentality of people that buy a truck, it's a POS and has tons of problems, and they go right out and buy another one? If I got one like that I'd run like hell to the other brand before I'd buy the same thing again! Brand loyalty is one thing, blind stupidity is something else. Just another sign of the dumbing down of America!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby jethro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:40 pm

Yes --- I don't understand it either.....
The fords of pre-1980 or so -- were pretty good-- I think because they hadn't changed them much in a long time.
after that the engineers were starting to use crack---- bad----- probably getting it from the CEO's ...... and bean counters........

My strategy was to buy the most disposable POS-engine ford with the chassis features I liked ---- trash the engine ----
put a retro, no sensor engine in it....... repair/overhaul what needed it--- see how it worked out.....
Has worked reasonably OK so far.

Though the duramax is not a perfect product either---- it does work well, smooth.... good power .... well mannered trans (Alison)
I have more respect for the chevy product than the ford one. And you can see that reflected in the used resale price too.

Ford should just fall forward onto their knife and just get it over with. Seems like the mess they have made is non-recoverable--
I have to think that the mentally ill ford buyers will sooner or later exhaust themselves of smashing their heads into brick walls.......
(maybe they expect Hillary will buy them a new truck :-) )

I couldn't believe the list of ford diesel buyers who were law-suiting ford over the 6.0 liter trucks--- literally the list was so long
I never got to the end of it...... after a couple of pages they all looked identical....

When I was in high school my dad had a Lincoln town car. (older used one) I discovered the town cars had some factory defective
part in the engine. I researched the defect and found out that the defect was OVER 10 years old---- that is they KEPT PRODUCING
the same defective part for 10 years after they identified the problem. They NEVER DID fix it on the assy. line. Just kept sending
them out with that bad part...... That showed me what the "Ford Way " of doing things was.......

I also later learned that Henry Ford apparently was a closet communist. that he had leanings politically toward Russian ways of doing things. Maybe FMC was the great Gulag of his own making ......
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine