air cond. compressor - whitch freon style ?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

air cond. compressor - whitch freon style ?

Postby jethro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:23 pm

I am building new air conditioning plumbing---
noticed that according to one of the air conditioning parts suppliers--- 1992 d-350 used r-12 and 1993 used r-134a-------
I believe the tag in my engine is about 1992+1/2 ................. I was told the chassis was a 1993 model year but built in 92+

I will need to know ( I think) if the compressor that's on there is set up for r-12 or 134a......

Does it seem reasonable to inspect the charging fitting on the lines and use that to tell (old or new style ?)
Is there a tag on the compressor ?

( I have the old dodge lines--- It will be all ford system with the dodge(cummins) compressor---- F-350 with 1-st gen )

The 93 dodge used pag100 oil and the ford used pag46----- I would think the compressor would be the only oil-sensitive
part----- so I would use whatever the dodge used (assuming r-134a compressor)

will look at the fitting tomorrow to see if they are new or old style------

Just looked at the old dodge pipes---- they have the small charge fittings so it must have been a Freon 12 system----
which means the compressor was for Freon-12. Have researched on the web some----- lots of people use old compressor
with 134a- as long as the old oil is drained out. ------ though it appears sanden recommends a newer one for longer life
(they claim) but then the say you can use the old one but it might not last as long...... pretty vague..... however all
descriptions stress cleaning all the old oil out (system wide by flushing) as old mineral and new hydrocarbon oil will mix and cause un-pumpable sludge
and a huge cat-O-strophic mess inside....... so far that's about all I have found.....

T
jethro
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine