Help !!!!....Rough Idle on my 1989 Ram (5.2L V8, auto trans)

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Help !!!!....Rough Idle on my 1989 Ram (5.2L V8, auto trans)

Postby hokietiger » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Folks, I need URGENT HELP concerning my 1989 DODGE POWER RAM "W100" truck (5.2L, 318 c.i. EFI Throttle body with auto trans).

At cold startup, the engine idles nicely for about 20-30 seconds then begins to idle roughly with frequent episodes of a momentary idle drop to near stall. Most of the time it will catch itself and bump back up to normal idle rpm (still rough) repeating the sequence ...but will occassionally stall out....Never a surge upward in idle telling me that a vacuum leak is probably not the issue....And, if you give it a little gas and hold the gas pedal there, it runs OK. Only issues are when it drops back to normal idle rpm.

Here is what I've done so far:

1. Rebuilt / cleaned Throttle body with new gaskets and new O-rings for the fuel injectors.
2. New plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor button, and new ignition pickup in the distributor cap.
3. New Idle control solenoid (adjacent to throttle body)
4. New fuel filter
5. New Air filter and PCV valve
6. New O2 sensor.
7. New Fuel Sending Unit (pump) in the gas tank.

Also tested the MAP SENSOR (functions properly) and inspected almost all vacuum lines for leaks (none)....Looks like a new EGR valve has been recently installed.
Viewed the fuel injection into the throttle body barrels while idling. Fuel sprayed evenly into the barrels even
just before the idle dropped and stalled the engine (telling me that a lack of fuel flow may not be the issue).

Ran a "key on-key off" code check and got #37 which indicates:

part throttle lock/unlock solenoid driver circuit (87-89 models) OR, solenoid coil circuit (85-89 Turbo I-IV models).

Wonder if the THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR could be an issue??....I would think that the FUEL SENDING UNIT in the gas tank
may also be an issue but, as mentioned above, I just replaced it.

Again, the truck cranks easily and idles nicely for about 20-30++ seconds at cold startup then begins idling a little rough with abrupt, frequent drops in the idle rpm (almost near stall with an occasional stall). It could still be fuel injector issues because I just don't know enough to be completely accurate.

And, does anybody think the Coolant Temp Sensor could be an issue??

All help, opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

Mike
hokietiger
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Help !!!!....Rough Idle on my 1989 Ram (5.2L V8, auto trans)

Postby Richie O » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:09 am

This is a forum based on 89 to 93 Diesel equipped Dodge trucks.
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Re: Help !!!!....Rough Idle on my 1989 Ram (5.2L V8, auto trans)

Postby DodgeFreak » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:10 pm

It just needs moved to the non diesel section. Test the tps and see what the volts are to it and coming out of it. should be set at .5 volt roughly at idle and increase as you open the throttle. Also the check the coolant temp sensor. I believe there should be two of them one for the gauge and one for the computer. Once it starts idling funny and you snap the throttle open does it smoke black like a rich condition??
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Return to Engine