7mm Heads, all the same?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

7mm Heads, all the same?

Postby mhuppertz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:07 pm

Are 1st gen and 2nd gen 12 valve heads interchangable?
Where should I start looking for a rebuildable core?
mhuppertz

Postby rbrettctd » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Yes they are interchangeable. Just minor differences. All the ones you find as rebuilt or new casts will most likely be from 2nd gen but work fine. theres a guy selling them on ebay that are already o-ringed and possibly ported if thats in your future.
Randy
1991 D-250 N/I CTD. POD's, , BHAF and unger custom intake /crossover, HX35/16, 4" exhaust to 6" tip, Custom ground pin. Isspro gauges on pillar. Now Getrag equipped, SB crap clutch (12") and 3.07 gears-ready to watch the mileage soar.
rbrettctd
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mhuppertz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:16 pm

rbrettctd wrote:Yes they are interchangeable. Just minor differences. All the ones you find as rebuilt or new casts will most likely be from 2nd gen but work fine. theres a guy selling them on ebay that are already o-ringed and possibly ported if thats in your future.

I would love to buy a ported and ringed head, but that itsn't in the cards. I want to find a head that I can mill the intake off, drill and tap the head for a custom tube intake, port, polish and ring over a years time or so.... Guess I could use some older titanium valves from my friends pro stock motors! Yea, right.... :roll:
mhuppertz

Postby seeker1056 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:35 am

Theres a head company in the States selling brand new for about $385 US

http://www.acheinc.com

scrol down to chrysler products - interstingly enough the 4 cyl cummins head is more expensive than the 6 cyl.

Even if it might be import stuff - its a cheap start to cut up for performance
91 F350 5.9 Cummins, Custom built VE 12v

Sponsors of new truck

Performance Diesel Injection
Colt Cams
H&H Offroad
Arties Transmission
Toms Contracting
seeker1056
14mm rotor

Postby silvercloud » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:57 am

If these are the same heads sold by this outfit www.rjperformance.com then I have some experience with them. We put one of RJ's heads on my brother's '98 12 valve a couple years ago. Everything attached as factory and it has run now for a couple years trouble-free. It was way cheaper at the time than a head from Cummins and it seems to be doing the job just fine-I would buy from them again without any qualms.

HTH
Jason
silvercloud
smoke screw?

Return to Engine