Possibly ruined head gasket

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Possibly ruined head gasket

Postby Agentorange » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:18 pm

Well I went to install my head studs today. Everything went great until I hear leaking coming from the rear of the engine. I was stupid and did not tighten the nuts down as I went causing the head to lift a bit. This is my daily so I need it to be up by Wednesday. Can I just go about my way and finish the studs or is my head gasket toast? Any idea of how much a shop would charge to change it? I don't have someone to help nor a cherry picker so doing it myself would be tough.
Agentorange
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Possibly ruined head gasket

Postby DodgeFreak » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:58 pm

new headgasket with studs or old head gasket with new studs? You could always try to retorque and see what happens if it fails you will still have to replace the head gasket. New head gasket would have a better chance than an old one.
92 D350 Cab and Chassis. Auto stock, wiring gremlins. 330k miles
92 W250 Ext cab rotted completely out. Auto, pump maxed, 215 ppump nozzles, Denny T2 pin.
85 D350 single wheel, converted to cummins, getrag, turned up 2 turns and afc screw flush.
DodgeFreak
14mm rotor

Re: Possibly ruined head gasket

Postby fatty » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:33 pm

I did that once when I installed head studs. It started hissing and even leaked a bit of coolant. I just torqued it back down and it held (with orings and studs) 47 psi and the pump to the head.
91.5 w250
fatty
14mm rotor

Return to Engine