fuel pressure problem

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

fuel pressure problem

Postby gomerpile » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:04 pm

ok so i got my fuel pressure gauge in and found something horifing :shock: . my idle fuel pressure is 6 psi and my full throttle is 2psi. here is my question

my filter has 6500 miles on it. would that be the problem possibly?

my fuel pump has 5000, i dont think it is it, but 2 yr warranty :evil:

would my new 40 horse injectors cause that little at idle , could it have to do with the fact im running to little timing ( working on it).

or the last/ easiest, is could it be the gauge? i ran 1/4" line to the gauge, didnt bleed fuel thru line to the gauge, and the tube runs thru a 1/8" needle valve right out of the banjo bolt.
1992 Dodge D-250 LE auto, LSD w/3.54, about 200,000+ miles.Isspro Pyrometer , Sunpro tach,Tractor Supply Boost Gauge, Old Smokey Fuel Pin,4 turns on fun srew, starwheel turn CCW 1 turn, 40hp injectors, BHAF,16 cm housing.Sony Head Unit.
gomerpile
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:54 pm

Oh Gomer! :roll: :lol:
Those pressures aren't too bad, but a little low. Timing won't affect fuel pressure. The injectors could. You should have bled the line to the gauge. I left extra hose on mine, I pulled it out of the dash, and put a pan under it. I started the engine and bled it out at the gauge nut. Then I adjusted the needle valve to eliminate bounce.
The stock pump doesn't put out a lot of fuel. If you see the gauge drop more, it's time to upgrade to a piston pump.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:13 pm

6psi idle is about right, a little low, but not bad. 2psi WOT is BAD- Cummins spec is 3psi+. How much boost do you make at WOT? With stock injectors, and a 160mm pump output, I can su.... uh, bring my fuel pressure down to 0. If I keep the boost around 20psi, pressure stays around 5psi, which is adequte for stock, and no less than the pump is designed for.

If you have stock fuelling, and 40hp injectors, you have a bad lift pump.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Engine