FSS cause a no Start?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

FSS cause a no Start?

Postby rustybottoms88 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:39 am

I resealed my injection pump and turned the fuel screw in 1 turn. I bleed the injectors and got the truck started. Let it run for probably 30 mins drove it about a mile and shut it off then started it again. It sit over night and now will not start. No smoke or anything coming from the tail pipe. It acts like it it is not getting fuel. I will check the bleed screw just after the filter to see if there is fuel there and I will try priming the injectors again but is it possible that the FSS is sticking closed? Its the stock FSS as far as I know and I think this truck sat for sometime before I bought it. Is there something else that could be causing this issue? BTW it has a new lift pump and fuel filter as well. Any help is appreciated.
rustybottoms88
fuel pin?

Re: FSS cause a no Start?

Postby PToombs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:47 pm

Remove the wire from the FSS, turn the key on and touch the wire to the stud. See if you can hear or feel the solenoid click. Plan B is to remove the plunger and see if it will start. If it does the solenoid is bad. You can shut it off with the lever on the side of the pump.

It could also be leaking air back into one of the lines since you disturbed them. Make sure all the seal washers are on the banjo bolts and look for wet spots on the suction and return lines.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby rustybottoms88 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:45 am

PToombs wrote:Remove the wire from the FSS, turn the key on and touch the wire to the stud. See if you can hear or feel the solenoid click. Plan B is to remove the plunger and see if it will start. If it does the solenoid is bad. You can shut it off with the lever on the side of the pump.

It could also be leaking air back into one of the lines since you disturbed them. Make sure all the seal washers are on the banjo bolts and look for wet spots on the suction and return lines.

Thank you. The female spade connector going to the solenoid was very loose so I replaced it. Cycled the key and it started right up. It is still surging abit. I did check for leaks and it appears I have a leak around the rear most injectors return line and the one next in line from it altho its not as bad. I can see it bubble from the rear most injector every min or so. I know nothing about how those go together. New seals of some sort? I assume the ones in there are original.
rustybottoms88
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Yup, darn spade connectors! :lol: Lotsa guys replace them with an eye so they can't loosen up.

Are you sure it's the return leaking? The seal is a simple thing, if you draw 2 circles and connect them with a line, that's what the seal looks like, only bent double. Try loosening the bolt and retighten it, but don't go crazy with it, they don't have to be super tight. I've had them leak after the injectors have been out. Sometimes the return line doesn't mate well to the injector and I have to loosen the injector and turn it a little, then hold it as I tighten the nut to keep it aligned better.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby rustybottoms88 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:51 am

PToombs wrote:Yup, darn spade connectors! :lol: Lotsa guys replace them with an eye so they can't loosen up.

Are you sure it's the return leaking? The seal is a simple thing, if you draw 2 circles and connect them with a line, that's what the seal looks like, only bent double. Try loosening the bolt and retighten it, but don't go crazy with it, they don't have to be super tight. I've had them leak after the injectors have been out. Sometimes the return line doesn't mate well to the injector and I have to loosen the injector and turn it a little, then hold it as I tighten the nut to keep it aligned better.

Well after watching a video to learn about the parts I believe it is leaking around the retaining nut. Also I went to start the truck this morning and no start. Checked for 12v to FSS and nada. Ran a 12v directly to the FSS and it starts. I check it 30 mins later and I am getting 12v to FSS wire again.....I have a wiring problem to track down.
rustybottoms88
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:08 pm

A leak around the nut is no biggie, just give it a little snug with a wrench if you can get on it. Or loosen and tighten.

What year is the truck? are you sure you have the wires right on the FSS?
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby rustybottoms88 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:08 pm

PToombs wrote:A leak around the nut is no biggie, just give it a little snug with a wrench if you can get on it. Or loosen and tighten.

What year is the truck? are you sure you have the wires right on the FSS?

The truck is a 1989. Maybe I got the KSB and the FSS wires swapped? What colorbqire should be going to the FSS?
rustybottoms88
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:22 pm

rustybottoms88 wrote:. Maybe I got the KSB and the FSS wires swapped?

This is what I was thinking, especially with an early truck, the KSB works backwards on them, so no power when cold.
I'm not sure on wire colors, I have a 92 truck and a 93 service manual so they don't help. I know on mine the hot wire feeds the FSS, then the KSB feed goes from there to the sensor, then to the KSB.
Maybe pull all the wires, turn the key on and check them with a test light? Hot one for the win! :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby rustybottoms88 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:26 am

PToombs wrote:
rustybottoms88 wrote:. Maybe I got the KSB and the FSS wires swapped?

This is what I was thinking, especially with an early truck, the KSB works backwards on them, so no power when cold.
I'm not sure on wire colors, I have a 92 truck and a 93 service manual so they don't help. I know on mine the hot wire feeds the FSS, then the KSB feed goes from there to the sensor, then to the KSB.
Maybe pull all the wires, turn the key on and check them with a test light? Hot one for the win! :lol:

So ya, I had the wires turned around! Starts in all weather now! haha Thanks for the info and help. That is good to know about the KSB being backwards.
rustybottoms88
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:27 pm

No problem, glad ya got her running. 8)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine