Oil leaking out exhaust pipe

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Oil leaking out exhaust pipe

Postby bgilbert » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:35 pm

Well got the crew cab mostly done, minus dual wheels and fenders and hood, took it out for a drive around the block a few times. No exhaust yet, just the stock downpipe. Get back and have oil leaking from between the turbo exhaust housing and downpipe clamp and then dripping out the downpipe. No oil on the compressor side of the turbo, nor in the crossover pipe or intake.

Prior to the test drive, I've run it a few times and had a ton of white/oil smoke at idle and with throttle. Figured it was just from sitting for almost 2 years. Can't really tell if oil has been coming from the exhaust manifold/engine.

I removed the turbo from the engine, separated the center section from the exhaust housing. Looks like the exhaust wheel is not spinning independantly from the bearing heat shield. (Number 38 in this breakdown: http://www.htturbo.com/hp.html) The exhaust wheel just rubs on the heat shield when you hold it down and spin the wheel/shaft. I'm thinking this charger needs a rebuild. But is this my only problem? Can oil leak out the exhaust side of the turbo?
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby JD730 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:12 am

Yeah, something is not right with that turbo. If you have that much oil in the exhaust you would see it in the manifold when you take the turbo off. Chances are thats not the problem. Hope it isn't anyway.

Oil can and will leak out the exhaust, especially if the sealing ring is all coked up.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:46 am

That sucks Bill. I know the feeling.

I switched out the intake air horn on my truck yesterday to a late 2nd gen model. I found oil in my old intake tube. So looks like I gotta replace this HX35 soon.

That will cut into my allison transmission funding. :(

It was good talking to you Sat I got a hold of MM yesterday. :)
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby oldcool90 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Talked to Bill today he was going to try my old turbo to see if that was the problem,took his off and found oil it the manifold :x Don"t think he was too happy. What do you guys think head,valve seals,rings? Motor is stock and realy smokes when you snap the throttle,and not good fuel smoke either just a light blue oil smoke
1992 reg cab W-350 5sp 12cm ex housing,pod's,3200rpm gov,and piston lift pump
oldcool90
fuel screw!!!!

Postby flashgordon » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:34 pm

oldcool90 wrote:Talked to Bill today he was going to try my old turbo to see if that was the problem,took his off and found oil it the manifold :x Don"t think he was too happy. What do you guys think head,valve seals,rings? Motor is stock and realy smokes when you snap the throttle,and not good fuel smoke either just a light blue oil smoke

My guess would be rotted or bad valve seals. if it puffs alot when cold or warming up but the blue is gone after that, the. yes valve seals.

If it smokes blue all the time.........well then your going to have to dig deeper for the answer.
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Bookshelf » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:06 am

I'd try a different turbo, oil could have drained back into the manifold after shutdown. I've seen stuff smoke really bad from a blown turbo. Could be valve seals too though, especially after that much sitting.
91.0 W250 Auto
90 Chevy V30
Bookshelf
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bgilbert » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:26 am

Ah if it was only the turbo :evil: or the valve seals :mad: . Well after I pulled the turbo, I couldn't really see 'wet' oil in the manifold. So I pulled the turbo oil supply line, plugged the outlet, removed the grid heater spacer and ran the engine no turbo, no intake. Talk about LOUD. After a couple minutes or so I could see a small streak of 'something', be it oil or fuel, working it's way down the manifold. - Coming from the rear three cylinders. I rodded on it (with ear plugs) quite a bit, ran it up to t-stat temp and it was slobbering oil out the rear 3 of the manifold :thumleft: . SUPER!

Now I guess it's $150 to Harbor Freight to buy their compression tester to hopefully see what the deal is, (rings, HG, valve sealing, head) before I drop money on parts. I sure hope it's not rings or the old style head :mad: .

I'm starting to think this $2000 donor truck was a bad deal. Hmm, motor may need rebuilt, tranny did need to be rebuilt, rear was ok and that was about all I got from the truck :roll: .
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:07 pm

Bill, check the valves. Put the piston up on TDC. Remove the springs, and check for play side to side. Guides may be bad. It could be seals. My S-10 smoked when I started it, then would go away. So I replaced the seals (o-rings) Then when I started it, it would smoke, when I stopped for a lite, it would smoke! I did it wrong, and pushed the o-rings down the shaft when I put the springs on. So it could be seals, even revving it isn't enough heat to burn it out. If the head was cracked, you wouldn't have oil. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby flashgordon » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:02 pm

PToombs wrote:Bill, check the valves. Put the piston up on TDC. Remove the springs, and check for play side to side. Guides may be bad. It could be seals. My S-10 smoked when I started it, then would go away. So I replaced the seals (o-rings) Then when I started it, it would smoke, when I stopped for a lite, it would smoke! I did it wrong, and pushed the o-rings down the shaft when I put the springs on. So it could be seals, even revving it isn't enough heat to burn it out. If the head was cracked, you wouldn't have oil. ;)

I agree valve seal should stop the oil...........But it may need valve stem guides also........If thats the case.....BIG PORT HEAD TIME ;)(might as well port it before new guides an put in!!)
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine