Oil leak from the back top of the engine?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Oil leak from the back top of the engine?

Postby Begle1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:05 pm

My truck's been getting a little incontinent in her old age; leaving 4 or 5 inch oil puddles under the rear of the engine once every couple weeks. Figured it was just main seal seep; never severe or common enough to do anything about it.

The other day I came out to the parking lot after she'd been sitting for 9 hours and there was a 3 foot diameter puddle. I poked around trying to find the leak; I didn't see where it originated, but there was an inch-wide path of oil migrating down the driver's side of my transmission bell housing.

Checked the oil and I was an 1/8th inch above the bottom "safe" mark on the dipstick. I drove two minutes and half a mile, and I checked the dipstick again and it was 1/4 inch below the bottom "safe" mark.

It was dark, late and I didn't have any tools, so I called a tow truck.

The transmission pan was covered in a film of oil; but after I waited an hour for the tow truck, there wasn't a puddle on the ground. :?

What could be pouring motor oil from the top, back of the engine? Is there a sender of some kind back there? Main seal?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:42 pm

Only thing back there is the valve cover, main seal, and the cam plug. I bet your cam plug crapped out. Oh, might be the tappet cover too. You should be able to see that though. If it is the main seal, replace the cam plug while you're there. The cam plug is behind the adapter plate. Not fun. :mad:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:46 pm

Ah, what the hell. I've driven it three days over the past two months and gotten it towed five times over the past four months.

What's another weekend project? :roll:
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby Underpsi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 pm

uh oh. Sounds like you got the same oil leak that I had. There is also a small oil rifle plug on the back of the engine behind the adapter plate. That was the cause of my leak. You better hope it not the cam plug cuz im pretty sure someone told me once that you have to pull the cam to change it out
1989 D250 5spd w/SB3250DD, .020 over head gasket, O-rings, Extensive port/polish, ARP head studs, 62/71/14, 6x.018 sticks. First Dyno stock turbo and pods: 343/879
2nd with 62 & big sticks: 393/813
Underpsi
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 pm

What's an oil rifle plug?

How do you pull the cam? Tilt the engine down and pull it out of the front?

So, if it's the cam plug, main seal, or this rifle plug, I'm pulling the transmission. Correct? And then I'm probably doing them all at the same time anyways?

I do need to install a laminated flexplate...

I'm now taking offers for my truck. Shoot me.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:17 pm

sucks when things get old, it took me 3 hours to remove the two rear break lines and the two bleaders, head to replace everything, but that was alot more fun then what your going to have to do

your going to have to pull the tranny to get to the rear seal, and you pull the cam from the front
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Don't get excited! No need to pull the cam. ;) It's a soft plug in the hole at the back of the cam. Just pull the tranny, pull the adapter. Pop the plug out how ever you can. The newest version has an o-ring that goes in, then the plug. I don't remember a galley plug back there, but that don't mean nuttin! It's either the seal or the cam plug. If you haven't done the seal, do them both and be done with it.
It's gonna suck with 4wd and all, but I pulled my '89 down to the seal in about 3.5 hours by my self.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:13 pm

PToombs wrote:It's gonna suck with 4wd and all, but I pulled my '89 down to the seal in about 3.5 hours by my self.

One of the many reasons I didn't want 4wd?

I need to install a laminated flexplate anyways...

How much do you need to take off to change the cam?
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:20 pm

Every thing on the front! Radiator, maybe the core support, fan, timing cover. Valve train, rockers, push rods, etc. Need wooden dowels to put in the lifters to hold them up, then pull the cam.

Are you that much in need of a project that you want to tear into both ends of the engine? :bh:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:25 pm

PToombs wrote:Every thing on the front! Radiator, maybe the core support, fan, timing cover. Valve train, rockers, push rods, etc. Need wooden dowels to put in the lifters to hold them up, then pull the cam.

Are you that much in need of a project that you want to tear into both ends of the engine? :bh:

If I did have to pull the cam it would be a tough decision on whether or not I wanted an aftermarket one.

It's not that tough of a decision since I don't have to. I'll earmark that money for injectors.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't pull it if I didn't have to. If I did, I'd seriously consider a performance cam too! :wrench:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Engine