runs warm

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

runs warm

Postby 2stroke » Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:47 pm

on my 90 n/i. any time i have a trailer behind this thing(which is always) it runs 2/3 on the temp guage. it gets 100 degrees here in the summer. my plan is to make it a cross flow radiator by flipping the top tank around, and using a later style t-stat housing. who has done this? does it fix the problem? should i have a bigger radiator made?$$$
2stroke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:06 pm

You can buy a i-c radiator, have your stock brackets welded/ attached somehow, and run it with a later style t-stat housing and hose. The 91 I had was this way, only it had the stock housing, and some redneck engineered set up which included some metal tubing and a couple 90deg bends. I put the housing on along with a new hose after about 2 years.

How big a load are you towing? Which tranny? The FSM says the 2/3 mark is normal for loaded driving. I have run them that high in the summer, but kept a close watch on it.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby JimmieD » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:26 pm

I wouldn't trust that gauge with my engine's life! Far better to install at least an auxiliary temp gauge of good quality, along with the same in oil pressure gauge. The stock Mopar temp gauge in these trucks, gasser or diesel, has a dismal reputation...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 2stroke » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:38 am

its the 727 non I/C. its just a small 5000lb trailer. it will go higher on the guage if i dont pay attention. i have run around with the heat blasting a few times when it is 105 degrees out. i was quoted $400 for a newer radiator. thats why i wanna stick with mine and have it worked on.
2stroke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:20 am

I got mine for $140 through the same place that my g/f's shop works with. I think it was Performance Radiator, or something like that. Saw it on ebay, lifetime warranty.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby 2stroke » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:48 pm

dpuckett wrote:I got mine for $140 through the same place that my g/f's shop works with. I think it was Performance Radiator, or something like that. Saw it on ebay, lifetime warranty.

Daniel

for a 1st gen intercooled radiator right? what else is involved? dont u need a shroud for that also? is it just drilling to makke it fit?
91 non I/C w-350 SRW
2stroke
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:06 am

Yeah, if a shroud is a big deal to you, then you need one of them. Good luck with that needle in a haystack. I have run without one all summer and not overheated anything except my EGTs, so it isnt a major concern for me.

And yes, it is a 1stGen intercooled radiator- crossflow type. There are 2 ways to go- get/make the brackets for the core support of an intercooled radiator (2" C-Channel would work just fine, about 5-6" per side, IIRC), or have your brackets taken off the old radiator and put on your new one. The lower mounting is the same. Naturaly, you will need the newer style t-stat housing.

DP
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Return to Engine