What turbo?

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

What turbo?

Postby andyr354 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:55 am

Since summer is comming and I will be pulling the jeep all over the midwest again I was looking at upgrading my turbo.

Truck: (Gonna add this to my sig)
93 W250, Getrag, 3.55 gears, BHAF, Fuel screw against lock collar, AFC set to deepest point, stock straight pipe, timing bumped 1/8", Isspro boost/pyro/tach, 220K+ miles.
I pull around 5K lbs currently, but that will be going up to closer to 9K next summer. Pull in the midwest and also colorado once or twice a year. Whatever mods I do need to be tow friendly since that is the purpose of having the truck.

1. I know that with any turbo upgrade I am most likely going to have to go to a larger exhaust to get any benefit right? The stock down pipe is getting soft anyway. The pipe around the tcase has been replace with a very poorly bent, crushed, one. I have called up Stans and got a price. I like that this system has all the hangars and such ready to go and will fit both style of turbo housings. Anybody have anything bad to say about it? Think I might want the muffler since I drive for long periods of time?

2. I have read about shaving some thickness off the a washer in the bottom of the AFC. Is this a good mod?

3. Ok, to the turbo. It is all stock right now with the 18.5. Towing I don't know if I should go with a 12WG or a 16. I have also looked into sending it to somebody like HTT and let them put new bearings in it and soup it up.

Recomendations? Thanks!

Andy
93 W250, Getrag, 3.55 gears, BHAF, Fuel screw against lock collar, AFC set to deepest point, stock straight pipe, timing bumped 1/8", Isspro boost/pyro/tach, 220K+ miles.
andyr354
fuel pin?

Postby Philip » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:56 pm

Stan's 4" setup doesn't come with any hangers. Just 4" U-bolt clamps and a piece of 1/4" flat stock about 6" long. If you use the flat stock as a mount it will transfer exhaust vibration in the chassis. So be ready to install some hangers. I am installing a Stan's 4" right now.

A 12 cm housing would be to small for towing. I wouldn't go smaller than a 16 with you having the fuel turned up some. What EGT's you seeing loaded right now?

Shaving the washer will help a little. This allows the fuel pin to move more.

You use the H1C turbo. Rather than send it out to be upgraded I would just grab a HX35 and throw on it. The price is about the same. Plus if your out on the road and loose a turbo. The HX35 would be easyer to find.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby Falcon » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:11 pm

I just removed my H1C with a 12 Waist gate on it and installed a HX-35 -16 non WG from a 98. My barking problem went away and seem to respond real good. I to am setting up for towing and feel thie setup will do me fine all I need is some bigger stick now but not too big.
Greg
Graham, Washington
"FIRST REAL TRUCK ENGINE...
LAST REAL TRUCK!!!
93 ex cab 4x4, Hybred 35/40,4" exaust all the way,pump turned alittle,DDP Stage III's, 366 spring,DDP fuel pin,AFE first gen air intake,pyro and boost gauges
Falcon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby andyr354 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 pm

I just advanced the timing over the weekend and it helped the non towing EGTs anyway. I don't need to pull anything until the 24th, but might just load up the jeep this weekend to go get some new numbers and see how it does.
My non loaded EGTs at 70 dropped from around 750 to 600 with the timing bump.

(Before timing bump) Towing I was running 900-1000 cruising and it would get up to 1250 if I kept it on the floor to long up a hill. This past summer I went through Colorado on I70 and couldn't use over 1/2 throttle anywhere in the state or I was right up to 1250. Only way to keep it down was to stay over 2000rpm, but once I hit the passes the only way to do that was in 3rd gear poking along at 35mph on the govenor.

I have tested the LP psi, charge air for leaks, clean air filter, clean fuel filter.. all is in order.

Is there a market for selling my current turbo? Didn't know if they were worth anything.
andyr354
fuel pin?

Postby wannadiesel » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Throw a Stage III kit on the cold side. If you don't mind the spool-up the 18.5 cm will be OK, you can drop down to a 16 but there's not a whole lot of difference in feel.

Shaving the washer will get you full travel. When you pull the pin out and look at it you'll see the wear mark, your goal is to get that wear mark to extend to the deepest point of the pin (use a light coating of grease to check your progress).
'93 D350 LE Club Cab dually, Getrag, 3.54 Pow-R-Lok with: DPS EDM's, HTT Stage IV/14wg, Con-FE, Snow Stage 2 water/meth, custom fuel pin, Walbro secondary fuel system.

Best dyno: 408/844
wannadiesel
diesel guru

Postby andyr354 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:09 am

Do I need to upgrade exhuast first? Or as mild as I am set will I notice much difference?

The two kits I am debating so far (other sugestions appreciated) are:
http://www.dieselperformancesystem.com/ ... mance.html
and
http://www.stans-headers.com/diesel.htm

The dps one is $100 cheaper but I don't know if it comes with as good of a muffler and it only has a 3" down pipe. Since I drive it for hours at a time with a 4" I am thinking I will want a muffler if it is louder than with the stock straight pipe.

Those that are running a 4" with a 4wd it has to be super close fit. Did anybody have to dent the tube to make it fit?

BTW: HTT shows the stageIII kit as out of stock and aren't available to order on their site. Called and talked to them and they had them on order. He thought I might only see a 50deg drop with the upgrade?
andyr354
fuel pin?

Postby JLeonard » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:15 am

I am thinking I will want a muffler if it is louder than with the stock straight pipe.

I have a muffler on my 4 inch system. It is a regular Allied truck muffler.
There is no drone at all and I barely hear the exhaust in the cab...but others say it sounds good when I go by them.
My son has a RipRook system with his muffler...it's louder but minimal drone at highway speeds.
I don't know what he has on his 05 but it is so loud you can't have a normal conversation in the truck.

you can drop down to a 16 but there's not a whole lot of difference in feel.

I thought there was a pretty good difference in feel. With the 16 boost came on gradually as opposed to the launching feel I had with the 18.5. Plus it reduced the rpm I started to get boost by about 400 which made the truck more drivable in traffic.
But that was long befiore I did any fuel or turbo mods.
91 D250 w/modified Cummins, 89 D250 donor (future boat engine)
JLeonard
fuel screw!!!!

Postby andyr354 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:00 am

I will probably order the Stans Headers system then. If I am spending the money might as well go for the gusto the first time right? :lol:

If don't think I will ever turn this thing way up the way some of you guys do. I have had it 2.5 years and have't done anything but whats in my sig right after I got it.

I went out and looked at the tube around my transfer case over lunch again. There is a kink in it, not a crushed bend but an actual kink that cuts it down to under half its thickness at that point.

Wish somebody made in in between setup like maybe a 3.5" Would fit alot easier. I was going to work on a gooseneck hitch this weekend, but better wait to make sure that it won't interfere with this huge tube running over the axle.

Andy
andyr354
fuel pin?

Postby Philip » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:30 pm

I'll post some pic's of the transfer case area when I get done with my install. The 4 inch is a tight fit.

I hope to have it done tomorrow.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Engine