Light White Idle Haze on a Stock Truck

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

Postby JLeonard » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:58 am

Yes upgrade to something in 7mm would be my preference.
And with the PODs I don't think you have to go nuts with a turbo and water injection right away. Just don't crank the fuel up past what your engine can deal with today..egt wise and smoke wise. ...when you get around to the turbo mods then crank up the fuel at that time.
When I put in my new injectors that was my approach although it was at the same time I did the 4 inch exhaust.

The last set of injectors I got rebuilt were done on a couple of days as normal timing. I dropped them off on a monday afternoon in town the they shuttled them to their rebuild shop 30 miles away, and I picked them up friday afternoon.
91 D250 w/modified Cummins, 89 D250 donor (future boat engine)
JLeonard
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Begle1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:45 pm

No matter what you do with POD's you'd be stuck with the idle haze though, right?
Altough I AM STILL planning on running vegetable oil, so I don't know if that'd clean them up. I haven't figured out if bigger or smaller holes are better with the heavier fuel.

Any thoughts on that one? Veggie isn't supposed to smoke much, so POD's would probably be a good bet. Until then, however...

Also, if I did that, then I would be able to keep the 7 mm and 9 mm options open. I think that for the price of a new head I could be well on the way to getting my current head crack-proofed, and since you need to buy custom injectors eventually anyways, I would be able to get the custom 9 mm's made. Which would be better. :twisted:
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:20 am

the pod's i had in my early 91 didn't haze at idle. i dunno why. other than turning up the pump about 2 turns, it was stock. the pod's in my crew (92 motor) hazes terrible when the motor is cold. the pump was turned up (PO says 10%), banks intercooler, and hx35. it smokes worse than a 3.0L caravan. i'd really like to find a way to clean this one up.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:55 pm

RumbleFish wrote:the pod's i had in my early 91 didn't haze at idle. i dunno why. other than turning up the pump about 2 turns, it was stock. the pod's in my crew (92 motor) hazes terrible when the motor is cold. the pump was turned up (PO says 10%), banks intercooler, and hx35. it smokes worse than a 3.0L caravan. i'd really like to find a way to clean this one up.

So why is it that Diesel's typically smoke more when cold, but mine only hazes when it's hot?

I think that nitrous can remove the haze at idle problems...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Your injectors may not be as carefully balanced in terms of pop pressure and spray as the others were. ALso makes a difference what thickness washers you installed at the time. Most guys run the .020s with PODs- gets the spray in the combustion chamber better.

Could also be pump internal timing issues and not being quite up to par. If it runs and gets decent MPGs, I'd leave it alone, annoying as it is.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Engine