I would like to run B100 BIODIESEL.

How the engine works

Moderators: Greenleaf, KTA, BC847, Richie O

I would like to run B100 BIODIESEL.

Postby JoeV » Wed May 02, 2007 2:25 pm

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to start purchasing the components necessary to make biodiesel. I will begin by using biodiesel in out VW TDI, I would then like to start running it on my 92 W250. From what I've read, biodiesel also acts as a solvent and cleans deposits in fuel tanks and lines which tend to clog the fuel filters in vehicles that have been running fossil fuel. This is no big deal and I've accepted the process of swapping out fuel filters. I was wondering if there are any "rubber" parts in the pump or anywhere else in the fuel delivery system on our 1st gens, these parts need to be swapped out with newer parts that would be resistant to corrosion on the part of the biofuel.

Again, I'm only in the beginning stages here and if I'm wrong please advise.
JoeV

Postby oldestof11 » Wed May 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Well, Wanna just posted over on DTR, just change the lift pump. The fuel lines are plastic so you *shouldn't* have to worry about it.

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Dean » Sat May 05, 2007 4:55 pm

I have been running Bio in my truck for the last 5 years or so. I don't put that many miles on my truck, and I don't run Bio in the winter. So I have put maybe 20K miles with B100. I haven't done anything to mod the truck for Bio.

So go for it.

Dean
Dean

92 W350 5 speed, F-450 rear frame sectioned on with Dana 80 rear, 370 injectors, HTT stage 4/16cm, Pump and timing bump, Hydro disk brakes, Porsche e-brake, Small sleeper for my dog, Alu flatbed.
Dean
fuel pin?

Postby charger 69 » Fri May 25, 2007 5:57 pm

Does 100% Bio diesel chaange power much??
92 White D350 132K,mi. fuel screw in 3,5 turns automatic with a Hughes converter and 26K add on cooler.Aluminum wheels,second fuel tank,gooseneck hitch,air bags tach.and gages,
charger 69
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:05 pm

If the ULSD didnt cause your pump to start leaking, you SHOULD be ok, but still keep an eye on things just to be safe. They are both good solvents, and will clean out the fuel system, along with the difference in aromatics causing the seals to shrink back down possibly causing a leak.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby Dean » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:32 pm

charger 69 wrote:Does 100% Bio diesel chaange power much??

I did notice a power loss from the old "dirty" diesel fuel. But now that I have all my vehicles turned up some, I really don't notice a difference. But I don't really care either.

Dean
Dean

92 W350 5 speed, F-450 rear frame sectioned on with Dana 80 rear, 370 injectors, HTT stage 4/16cm, Pump and timing bump, Hydro disk brakes, Porsche e-brake, Small sleeper for my dog, Alu flatbed.
Dean
fuel pin?

Postby hungrycyclist » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:17 am

I too have been running 100% biodiesel. First in a 91 250 and now in a 92 W250. Again, low miles at this point, but the truck seems to like it. No mods.

I am still have black smoke issues that was cleared up by Biodiesel in previos vehicles.

I have adjusted the smoke adjustment screw out but seemed to get more smoke.
hungrycyclist
fuel pin?

Bio to me

Postby Veggiesel » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:37 pm

Biodiesel to me is a very hazardous way to go. Now remember I am in no way connected to Frybrid other than a very happy customer. I run on WVO & I do not have to fool with mixing any hazardous chemicals. If you want to use the most up to date technology look up WWW.Frybrid.com. There is less work, safer conditions (no metanol). All you have to do isw settle, filter, heat let cool filter right into your vehicle or storage. It cost a bit up front, but depending on how many miles you drive, it pays for itself in a short time. Believe me, if you value your health look into it. :D :D :D
1992 Dodge 2500 ctd. with Frybrid System installed. I get smile miles....running on SVO.
Veggiesel
fuel pin?

Postby dpuckett » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:43 pm

Or just be careful when handling the chemicals to make biodiesel. :roll:

DP
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby Ggg » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:15 am

Also check for a local oil/fuel distributor. There is one near me that has bulk tanks of B100 that they use to mix the B10 from. I can go to the bulk tank pump and pump B100 right from the bulk tank into my truck. No chemicals or high up front costs. I have seen some damaged injectors from using WVO that was contaminated supposedly with cleaning solvent or something that did not settle out or get filtered out. I am not trying to say that happens all the time just something to be cautious about.
Ggg
fuel pin?

Postby CumminsPride » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:17 am

What he said^ I did not have a good experience with wvo and it was very clean. Now I have a new lift pump and failing injectors in my 03. Be sure of what you run in your truck because just cause someone on the internet does it doesn't mean you have all the details and it can end in failure that is very expensive. That is just my experience so take it for what it's worth.

Wade
06 3500 AT Mega Cab SRW 4X4
CumminsPride
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Engine